Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New lifters and the tick got worse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • SLC

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

95 legacy 203k.  Recently replaced the headgaskets and put in new lifters.  The little sewing machine tick now sounds like a hammer.  The heads had the oil passages blown out and were resurfaced.   Oil pump was resealed with a skim coat of subaru sealant.  We are going to put a new set of lifters in guessing that we got a defective lifter.  Is there an oil passage that may have been missed?

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Yes. You need to remove the rocker shaft assembly from the head and disassemble it to thoroughly clean the oil feed passage for the rockers. Also remove the lifters from the rockers and clean out the feed holes in the rocker arms.

I should also add that the rockers will be Very LOUD for about 15-30 minutes after initial startup until they have pumped up completely.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 22 March 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#3 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think 15 or 30 seconds rather than minutes to pump up the lifters but I agree about the careful cleaning and assembly of all the valve gear.  Making sure all parts are really clean is essential - http://www.nagara.co.uk/Enginefit3.htm

#4 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • SLC

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Ok.  I'll have to check if the rocker assembly was gone over...had a friend do most of the work.  Assuming it wasn't, why would the new lifters be louder than the old lifters?  Also would this clogged assembly cause just one lifter to not pump up?  It sounds like it's just one.  Thanks for the help.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

New lifters are often louder until they get pumped up all the way.

If its just one lifter making noise, drive the car for 20 minutes or so and it should pump up and stop making noise. If not, the feed hole in that one rocker arm could be clogged.

#6 jarl

jarl

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Ann Arbor area

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yep. The hidraulic lifters in these cars seem to take forever to stop making noise. Did you prime the lifters before installing them?

#7 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

What Fairtax said. I had the same issue with my '95 Impreza 2.2 and his diagnosis was dead-on accurate for me when I asked here in the forums for help. I completely disassembled the rocker arm assembly and found a small piece of RTV silicone blocking the oil feed hole to the rocker shaft. After removing that blockage, repriming the HLAs, and reassembling the engine, my engine has been noise-free and purrs like a kitten...super quiet. I'd be wiling to bet you have a blockage, as well.

#8 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • SLC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

We have replaced all lifters and the engine is quiet now.  Blew out all the passages but saw no debris present.  The removed lifters are being sent back to the manf for inspection.  No RTV was used...we used Subaru 3 bond.  Apparently it was a defective lifter.  Thanks for all the help guys.  The car still has some other minor issues but I'll start another thread to address those if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users