Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stripped Threads on Exhaust Bracket/ (Engine Block?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Ogden, Utah

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

So, while trying to replace old worn gaskets between my exhaust pipe flanges and the outtake on my EA81 (1983 BRAT) everything went fine except for one post won't tighten all the way anymore. I cut out new gaskets on my own, but because of that one post that won't tighten, I don't have a good seal (the car's way loud now ha ha). Are the threads in this hole on the bracket or are they on the actual engine block? (do these holes even go all the way into the engine block and not just the bracket?) 

I need to know so that I can decide whether it's better to buy the brackets off of somebody or to just do a helicoil and rethread the hole. What do you guys think?

#2 UraBUS09

UraBUS09

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • AK

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

They thread into the cylinder heads. Helicoil is probly best bet, don't go to big. Go too deep and you'll see water/antifreeze come out of them... Good luck!

#3 apintonut

apintonut

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • ravensdale wa

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Take it out and get the next size bolt and tap it to that no drilling

#4 Ibreakstuff

Ibreakstuff

USMB Regular

• Gold Subscribers
  • 310 posts
  • NorCal

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

While helicoils can work, timeserts or other proper steel inserts will hold better and last longer. Be careful not to drill too deep into the head too either way.

#5 bratdad

bratdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Pierre, SD

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:39 AM

I actually cut threads into the steal flange and put in a short bolt w/ larger dia. as a temporary fix since the flange was tight against the head already. It only worked because 1 hole was still good and firmly attached to the head. When my son was ready to overhaul the engine, I did the correct fix and put heli-coils in the heads in the damaged holes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users