Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Painting Interior

I was referred to SEM products by no less than three people in the auto industry that I trust.

http://www.semproducts.com/

This stuff is very cool. The pieces pictured look better in real life. I am doing a whole interior, from carpet to headliner. The grey i used for these pieces is medium slate grey, and is slightly lighter than the stock grey late gen 2 interiors, darker than the 80-81 grey.

I recommend this stuff, I think it is awesome, I will follow up with durability if there are any issues.

most of the pictured pieces started out navy, the steering wheel pad was dark brown. This stuff covers really well, a couple initial thin coats was adequate. Two different SEM primers were used, one for the soft pieces and a different one for the hard . The hard plastic pieces required a prep that is specifically for "problem plastic" such as poly propelene which is what these hard plastic pieces are. It really doesn't even look like paint at all. In fact SEM doesn't refer to this line (color coat) as paint, but a "flexible coating"

IMG_1258_zps327dfd46.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsf6557e8e.jpg

IMG_1260_zps102d3d8f.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting. Looks good. I checked out their site but couldn't find a color wheel.

just google "SEM color coat chart" and hit images, you will see images of their color charts, only as true as the posted pic and your monitor, so you would have to go to a store that carries product to check one out in person for an accurate look, but the online charts should give you an idea of what colors they have. About 50 colors in the color coat line! They also have bumper coating, etc.

Schweet. What did you use? Flat/semi/gloss?

they don't really come like that, if it's got a finish it's in the name of the color. I used "medium slate grey" and "satin black". I know there is a color coat gloss black, that's the only gloss I noticed. the medium slate grey I would say looks like a satin finish, but like I said, this doesn't even look like paint, it looks like colored plastic pieces when youare done. you can still see the krinkle texture in the plastic.

the "primer" for the soft plastic is called "sand free" and it actually reacts with the vynil or rubber, whatever, and softens it- noticably. Then you paint and as the solvent primer dries, the color coat is pulled into the material. very cool.

another thing that's kind of weird, color coat is also recomender for "painting" carpet. Sounds ridiculous, but I have not been able to get anyone to recomend a carpet dye, so I am going for it. the lower door panel carpet strip in the pic was done this way (it was a medium grey color to begin with). came out good. I figure I have a couple sets of carpet for my hatch, I can try it out.

All of SEM products have tech sheets downloadable online that spells everything out for you.

Looks great!

I came across SEM products after I had already started with Duplicolor unfortunately. The Duplicolor looks good, but I'm not sure how durable it's going to be; a few places (Right at the outside corners) are starting to flake already. 

Should work on carpet. I'm guessing it's man-made fibers, so in other words plastic. 

John