Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have the same question, I looked around the site and found some answers but is there  a specific cross refrence guide that could be found somewhere? I just bought a 2003 subaru Baja 5-speed I will replace my head gaskets myself eventually but am wanting to find the best doner car for a 2.2 swap I think I can find the right one if I just knew what to look for. I was going to start my own post but I guess i am forum illeterate couldn't find the new posts place. if there was a cross refrence guide it would make a good sticky. I spent an hour searching and had no luck, I thank you guys for shareing all of your knoledge. I will keep searching to figure out if my 2.5 can be made head gasket friendly. it really is a nice engine.

Jay

the 03 ej25 really is not a good candidate for an ej22 swap.

an ej22 will swap in,

but there are only 2 years that are compatible, 99 - 00.

you can swap in another ej25 into your baja.

use 00 - 03/4 ej25 long block, (with heads)

and use your intake, cam / crank sprockets.

this swap is common and easy.

is your baja a turbo?

that would change things.

Edited by johnceggleston

Mine is not a turbo, if I swap in another ej25 wont I be just having to replace head gaskets again in 100,000 miles, I just done like the idea of bieng in a car on the side of the road with steam billowing out, with the ej2.2 that seems less likely,  the 99-00 2.2 swap will work without having computer issues? any 99-00? any best doner car better than another? thank you.

Jay