Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As in the turn signal/hazard switch from behind the steering wheel. Anyone have one?

I was fixing the problem with my turn signals not turning off after a turn and the hazard switch (which had been cracked years ago) completely fell apart and is a goner. I can likely rig something up, but if anyone has a combination switch for a 1981 Brat, please let me know. Thanks.

-Ben

Score on the piece. In case it helps anyone, the '78 combination switch is a direct, drop-in replacement into the '81. So, I'd bet good money that any Gen 1 can be swapped for any other Gen 1.

The reason this was not readily apparent to me was that the turn signal knob in the '81 looks very different from earlier years, so I assumed that the switch functioned differently -- perhaps more features, an extra step or something else. Not so.... The differences are merely cosmetic and only on the knob.

In short, rare part broken, rare part found. I'm back in business.

Edited by bendecker

In RHD markets like Australia the combination switch was the same for all years '73 to '81. Very early Stage I models had a separate, dashboard mounted switch for the windscreen wipers, thus they did not actually have a 'combination switch'. The only real difference is the steering column plastic shroud for 4wd wagons (with the holes) for the rear wash/wipe switch.

• Like 1