Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intake gaskets... I know I know...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • North ID

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Bolts have nothing to do with it.  Neither does a thermal barrier.

When running, the intake is ALWAYS going to be colder than the motor.   Its a simple matter of mass and surface area.

#27 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

These look better.....more exactly shaped and same looking material as OE.

http://www.ebay.com/...24f004d&vxp=mtr

Yes I agree those look very much like OEM gaskets and went to buy some once... I then realised for that price OEM is the way to go!

#28 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Yes I agree those look very much like OEM gaskets and went to buy some once... I then realised for that price OEM is the way to go!

Yeah....but OE isn't goin to exist pretty soon....

Dealerships aren't going to keep ordering parts for 30 year old cars.....

Mark my words.........by 2016.......you won't be able to get any OE parts for EA cars at all.  Espescially EA81

#29 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Mark my words.........by 2016.......you won't be able to get any OE parts for EA cars at all.  Espescially EA81

What makes you so certain 2016?

Subaru has been under no obligation to supply EA81 parts for, many, many years!

#30 BEECHBM69

BEECHBM69

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Virginia Beach

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yeah....but OE isn't goin to exist pretty soon....

Dealerships aren't going to keep ordering parts for 30 year old cars.....

This thread will still be here, and I'll try to remember to find it in 2 years.

I don't think the sky is falling quite as quickly as you, but time will certainly tell.

Dan

#31 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

What makes you so certain 2016?

Subaru has been under no obligation to supply EA81 parts for, many, many years!

86 was the last production year for the Brat in the US (87 models)....last model we got with an EA81 (some STD hatches with fat EA71 til 89)

30 years is the cutoff.......they will not make any new parts for these cars.....and what's in stock is nearly gone.

If there are any true "OE" parts available.....they will be contracted to be made by the OE supplier but sold directly to the parts houses like worldpak....OPparts....or other.

Subaru is not goin to sell that stuff anymore......Their new computer systems don't even list them.....My dealership has to open "the old program" or straight up the paper catalog to look up anything.......they call me now cause I have better catalogs than them for EA81 and EA82 parts.

#32 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

While I appreciate what you are saying Gloyale, I doubt Subaru actually makes the intake gaskets anyway! It really is only the gaskets you can get from Subaru for early models, certainly everything else has long been discontinued. 

In Australia car companies only have to provide spares support for 10 years. After that time, you're on your own! 

#33 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

well loyale ran them till 94 so still some time left but old brat parts getting very hard to find my caliper rebuild kits took 3 months to get from Subaru but did get them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users