Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stop-tech stainless braided brake hoses

I have a WRX caliper kit in a box waiting for my front pads to wear out. That time is fast approaching, and I'm looking into a set of stainless brake lines from Stop-tech. Wondering if anyone here has bought a set for a 96-99 Outback or Forester. Im trying to figure out if they're any longer than the original brake hoses.

Same length is fine, but any shorter than stock and they'll be a no-go. Can't seem to find anything that specifies the length of these, even on the Centric website.

Or if anyone has suggestions for another brand to look into.

goodridge is a brand I've seen mentioned.

I have SS braided lines on my 06 WRX but they are from Subaru - SPT. I don't know who actually made them.

I've read that there's limited improvement if you don't replace them at all 4 corners.

def. make sure they meet USDOT specs with an outer sheath and w'ever..

Is the fluid port in a different location on the new calipers? I could see that causing a concern about the hose length.

that's about all I know other than no problems with mine since 06.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

They're going on my lifted 96 and the factory rubber lines are stretched to their limit. I've already "adjusted" the line mounts about as much as they can be. Any more and Ill have to start adding hard line. Just hoping to figure out if Ill NEED to add more line before I get everything apart and find out the hard way.

The rear calipers have similar line placement. Going to check the fronts this weekend, but they look to be pretty close to the original calipers.

yikes, lifted huh = I could see where shopping by line length and the correct fittings would be the best way. Dunno if an email to Goodridge or ST might get you some spec sheets or even partnumbers...

maybe someone else here has some experience. or subaruoutback.org . I'd Suggest motorsports forum at NASIOC, except - well, you know - lots of jerks/knuckleheads. Plus probably not many lifted vehicles over there.

As far as I can tell the Outback and Forester brake hoses for this year range are the same part. So ive searched here, Subaruoutback.org, and Subaruforester.org, and the only threads with people getting stainless hoses were for like 05-up cars.

I did see mention that the mounts that secure the hoses to the strut/knuckle are adjustable so that gives some wiggle room in case the caliper mount point is slightly different, but no mentions to overall length.

I will try to send Centric an email to ask about the hose lengths. Not sure why I didnt think of that. Thanks!

Ordered a set of the rear lines for an Outback today. Fronts weren't in stock, but hopefully will be soon.

Also test fitted the front calipers, line placement is identical, but the WRX calipers are HUGE compared to the stock single piston calipers on the car. There is no way they're going to fit under my 15" outback wheels, (read about that before but forgot) which is a bummer since I don't have the extra cash to drop on tires for my 16" WRX wheels right now.

Also discovered the right side inner pad is also quite a bit thinner than the others, which means a front pad slap will have to happen soon. I have some low priced ceramics on the way that should be better than the wearevers that are on it.

I did also order Outback front brake hoses (regular rubber) since what I could find says they're about 2" longer than the stock L hoses. Will see when they get here.

Got my box of brake stuff today. Also got an email the front stainless hoses were back in stock so I ordered a set after checking out the rear hoses.

Plain rubber brake hoses for an Outback are about 2" longer than the regular L Legacy brake hoses. The ones I got are made by Centric and were only about $10 each! Compare that to $28 each for Wearever/ Tru-Torque from Advance, and they look like the same part! So if you need new hoses for a lifted rig, Rockauto has a good economical option if you can plan ahead and wait a few days for parts.

The stainless hoses:

The Outback stainless hoses appear to be the same length (or pretty close) as the Outback rubber hoses. They should work very well in my case.

These seem to be fairly well built, they're DOT compliant, and the price is very good compared to other sets I've seen. Less than $90 from rockauto to do all 4 corners.

I just slapped the pads on the front today because they were getting close to the squeal tabs. Gonna try to put the stainless hoses on next week after the front set comes in. I will update on whether they actually improve pedal feel, or just look flashy.

One thing I do like is they have a clear vinyl covering over the braiding which should keep dirt out and keep them looking pretty for a while.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, a year later I finally got these on the car! Put them on at the same time I put the new struts on.

Fitment is good. They're about 2" longer than the stock hoses were. I can turn the wheels to full lock in both directions with the struts at full extension and they don't pull tight.

The mount clips they supplied didn't fit in the bracket on the rear strut so I just tweaked the original clips a bit and they hold fine.

Pedal feel seems better. The pedal feels more solid when the brakes are applied hard (but that could also be partly due to getting the 3 year old nasty brown brake fluid out of the system).

Rockauto still has these for about $42 a pair. Pretty good deal if you're looking for an affordable upgrade to the stock rubber hoses.