Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Orange Gen 2 dashboard gauges

I have a 80-81 or 82 gl (orange) gauge cluster in my car. I thought these very early gauge clusters were only in these first year gen 2 cars, gls and glf. I recently found this one in the junkyard in a car they listed was an 83. The gauge cluster is orange, but a different layout than the two that I have (one I know was from an 81, and the other I don't remember. Anyone know when they changed the layout, and how long did they use them in what cars?

IMG_1225_zps12c8245b.jpg

Edited by the sucker king
  • Like 1

Most of the Subaru's i've had have been gl so they have that style but white. My 83 turbo wagon has that and so did my other one when i converted it to analogue after the digi shorted, along with my 84 brat, 85 brat, 86 brat, and 86 hatchback. I had a 83 parts brat which was dl so it was the lower version it didn't have t-tops and came with this style tach.soobystuff018.jpg

I know the standard hatch backs came with this style and so did a lot of the dls. They also didn't come with the speaker left of the turn signal nob and under the vent close to the door. I saw a 82 wagon at the junkyard with the orange tach you have a picture of above and also a 80 hatch back both of which had orange lined knobs for everything. I think the orange tachs came from 80-82 or something like that.

DL dash

999417_330743437060801_1080115787_n.jpg

GL dash

1545097_402551486546662_597584411_n.jpgAs you can tell the shape of the dash is different where the cluster cluster.

hi,

1982 gl vehicles had the orange,, i am not sure if 1981 models  did , but   all the  83,84 and later gl's, and  brats  have white.    you can put the orange guages in the later cars but you need to use the vehicle's original housing and circuit board, just install the guages in it.

83 Should have been the cut off for the 'leftover' orange clusters. 84 and up they should all be white. You might have an early production 84 that might have had one slapped in. My 83 has it, but my 84 and 87 do not. I've also pulled 3 other orange ones just to have. lol

hi,

1982 gl vehicles had the orange,, i am not sure if 1981 models  did , but   all the  83,84 and later gl's, and  brats  have white.    you can put the orange guages in the later cars but you need to use the vehicle's original housing and circuit board, just install the guages in it.

not exactly correct.

interesting the 83-84 cars some of you guys have with the orange cluster in the first pic. I never knew this style existed. Here is the orange ones from 80 - mid 82 (?) that I was familiar with

IMG_1297_zpse77e4651.jpg

So when they went to the plastic fuse gen 2 wiring is when they made the new guage clusters, and aparently there were a few in orange made of those as well. I imagine that these were straight interchangeable with the  white ones of the same later aera gen 2 cars. Again the pic of the later style -IMG_1225_zps12c8245b.jpg

And i should note the jy said the car in this pic was an 82. I didn't look at manufacture date, but it did have plastic fuses.

Edited by the sucker king

I don't think i have ever seen one like this even in white they must have been in some of the first second gens made.

IMG_1297_zpse77e4651.jpg

I only see orange clusters on cars that could of had the third eye (79-82) setup like this brat

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/4399296164.html

correct. there were no clusters like this in white, these were the early gen 2 gl cars 80 - mid 82 with the glass fuses. This would include all the cars that had cyclops.

Well, it seems the '82 has the later dash. But,,, I do have the earlier dash sitting on the shelving unit.

Was out in the garage today, remembered this thread.

Found all of the clusters I have. 2 are White ones out of the '86 BRATs I had.

'82's cluster is still in the dash, it's the later style, but it is Orange.

Have an Orange cluster like the earlier one in the pic, just don't know where it came from.