Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Window Problem....suggestions?

A friend of mine has a 1990 4 door Subaru. Not too sure off the top of my head, but either way - it has power windows. The problem is that his drivers window is stuck down. If I were to take off the switch plate and unplug the harness leading into the switch, what wire would I hook up to ground and what wire would I give a steady 12v to, in order to take the window back up? Also the drivers side window is stuck down also....would anyone know the wires for this one also?

Thanks a lot....Sorry if I am leaving anything out - but if I am, please let me know and I will get the information needed to correct the problem.

Thanks again - DrpdGP

If you think a switch is bad, you can remove one of the other working ones and use it to roll it back up. You can also wire to the motor leads and roll the window back up. Hopefully the motor is ok. There may be some broken wires in the door jam causing these problems.

Well yea the back one would probably be able to be removed from one of the other 2 doors (Passenger side). But the drivers switch is going to be grouped in 4 switches and one plug comming into the back of the switch - so I dont believe I will be able to use one of the other 3 doors to roll up the drivers window.

On my GP my window switch on my drivers side went out - and I spoke with a guy who had a book on the GP electrical system. He told me what wires to plug in and then to reverse polarity to roll the window up and down. I know there is a way to do this on my buddies car also...But honestly dont want to go through the process of figuring out what wires do what, because then I risk shorting out something I shouldnt have - haha.

Any help would be great on how to hard wire directly into the switch plug.

Sorry I can't help you with a print of that year. I would guess that the switch is a double pole double throw type. Two wires in the middle common of the switch that tie to the motor. The connections on either side of the common will tie to 12 volts and ground and be reversed on the opposite side. By jumpering one side to the middle contacts it will drive the motor one direction and moving to the other side will make the window go the other way.

Your problem may not be in the switch though unless you have proved it out. The power could be cut going to the switch and so nothing will happen until that is fixed. The motor may be bad also. I would jumper to the motor leads if you can get to them with the window down.