Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help somebody 2004 Subaru FXT What to do?

I had been taking really good care of my Subie, an '04 FXT with only 76K miles, in very good shape, except…. when my turbo blew out recently, and then blew out my engine. Subaru service proposed, as no surprise, a new turbo and new engine as the solution, Problem is the $8K they quoted that I don't have. Should I try to sell my Subie as is? Where should I go to sell (a Subaru forum like this?, eBay?), how much could I expect?

what she said.

what is an FXT?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close.

shipping will probably cost about $150.

if you sell it as is, you will not get much for it, $2000 max, just a guess.

buy a used engine for  $3500,  the turbo may be extra.

so still expensive but not $8k.

or look for a parts wreck for sale in your area on www.craigslist.org

BTW, there is a replacement ''banjo'' bolt for the turbos, i think.

the original one was a weak point in the design.

you might contact SOA, suabru of america and complain.

a well maintained suabru should not have turbo / engine failure at 76k miles.

they might help you out.

it will not cost you anything to ask.

Edited by johnceggleston

FXT is Forester with Turbo.  I would be game for the rebuild on the turbo and engine, but I don't have a private mechanic who specializes in subies.  I was going to subaru service, and they are $$$$.  Anyone know of any good private mechanic in Westchester NY?     

As for the banjo bolt, that was what probably doomed me. .  I had smoke coming out of the turbo area, but the so-called subaru certified service technician never told me about this issue, they never diagnosed my turbo was starved of oil, then boom!!!

those turbo engines are extremely expensive.

get used.

those engines *must* have full synthetic changed often.  if it's ever had conventional oil, it's a big risk.  that's the downside to a used engine, you don't know.  but it's still better than dealer prices.

you may also try CCR, they're even a member here.  i'm sure it's expensive but still may come in under Subaru's prices at least.

sounds like you also need a turbo and they can also be 4 digit expenses

The original $8K Subaru service ctr quote was for replacement with new stock turbo and engine, and labor costs.  Now I am thinking more towards selling the car "as is".  Any suggestion on best sites to do this?  and how much is realistic to expect to sell it for?

Yeah used is the way to go. I don't necessarily agree with them MUST having synthetic, but oil debates are usually a waste of time lol. I have several friends, and guys I know with shops that stopped using synthetic in Subaru turbos. They consumed synthetic way too quick. The only synthetic that works is the Subaru synthetic.

Definitely find a used motor. Any EJ 2.5 Subaru turbo motor will work. But it's best for you to use all your accessories and intake manifold etc. But you can use the block and heads from any EJ25 turbo. EJ255 came in the FXT, 06+WRX, and 05+LGT. The EJ257 came in the 04+ STi. But either will work.