Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Perhaps this would be a good topic for someone wanting a research project, to make a proper sticky, or pinned, post. I found some other threads on subject but now I'm having trouble finding answers when I search.

Anyway, I have the complete struts off my wrecked 97 outback that I wanted to use on next purchase, along with rallitek rear sway bar. (King springs w kyb excel- felt great!)

I thought I could put them on almost any Subie from 90-03 or newer. But, I just found that the 99-03 legacy uses a different multi-link rear suspension. I found a couple clean ones in that range and was considering, but not now. So if I want to go to a newer car with the sohc 2.5 then I should look for impreza or forester, right? But will sway bar fit their rear suspension? I'm sure I could sell it buy what fits. But maybe I should stick to same generation Legacy.

Anyway, can some of you spill some knowledge on what fits on what? What did they change? Where were major improvements? What other parts can swap, such as sit control arms and braces and such?

Still learning the Subaru-modding world. Thanks.

Pretty much 90-99 Legacy including Outback, 98-02 Forester, and 93- at least 04 Impreza, you can use your struts on.

The sway bar will work on any 90-99 Legacy or Outback. I know they changed the end link design on the Forester and Impreza in the early 2000s. Your bar should still fit, but you may need to use the end links that match the car.

2000 and later Legacy, Outback, Baja, all use multi-link rear.

2003 or 2004 (don't remember exactly) Forester they changed the spring design so it tapers at the top. You can bolt in your struts, but need to use the Forester spring and top-hat.

2009 and later Forester uses multi-link rear.

Not sure when Impreza switched to the ML rear suspension, but not before 2007. I'm thinking it was more like 2010.

For more info look for posts by "Suparu" on here, SubaruOutback.org, and SubaruForester.org.

Edited by Fairtax4me