Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friend has a '95 Legacy 2.2 with blown headgaskets

With 189K on the motor, she is looking for another motor for less miles now I've told her she would be better off sticking with what she has (providing it was not crazy overheated) then trying to switch motors..

Since she has a '95 ECU I forgot what options she has engine wise? I'm pretty sure she has to stay Phase I for the motor..

She moved to TN awhile ago from CT so I guess it's not that easy to find stuff. And she thinks 189K is high mileage for a motor

I will link her to this thread.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

1995 - is dual port exhaust with EGR.

1995-1998 EJ22's are all interchangeable and plug and play with attention needed due to:
1.  1995 is dual port exhaust

2.  1995 automatic has EGR, 1995 manual does not have EGR, 1996-1998 variable as to EGR

*If she has an automatic (which will have EGR in 1995) then i'm almost positive she can bolt that to any 1995-1998 engine block regardelss of EGR and do the "work around" posted in another thread involving swapping vacuum lines, very simple.  Find that write-up, i think it's in the USRM now.

1994 and earlier can probably be used if you simple bolt the 1995 EJ22 intake on top of the earlier engine block

Edited by grossgary

i know the 95 auto trans is EGR.

i think the manual trans is non-EGR.

so if she has an auto trans car, she will want an engine from an auto trans car,

or do the work around.

but she could also use the 90 - 94 engine and her 95 intake manifold

and do the work around if needed.

lots of options.

i'll take her 95 engine.

Re-headgasket and seal the one she has.

Nothing used to drop in will have much less.....and will soon need maintained.

Whereas if she has a good running engine with a known history of oil changes and care once resealed (w/ new t belt and w.pump too) it will be good for another 100K.  And that could all be done for the same money or cheaper than used unless you didn't touch any seals/pump/t-belt on teh used jsut dropped in.......but that's waiting for more problems soon......gotta do all that to keep any warranty anyhow.

• Like 1

Re-headgasket and seal the one she has.

Nothing used to drop in will have much less.....and will soon need maintained.

Whereas if she has a good running engine with a known history of oil changes and care once resealed (w/ new t belt and w.pump too) it will be good for another 100K.  And that could all be done for the same money or cheaper than used unless you didn't touch any seals/pump/t-belt on teh used jsut dropped in.......but that's waiting for more problems soon......gotta do all that to keep any warranty anyhow.

I tried to tell her that.. In the case when I replaced my EJ25 with a EJ22 (I'm going a different way with my motor) I took the heads off the ej22 which had sitting for who knows how long.. it has some pretty hefty rust in one of the cylinder walls, no way in the world would I take one right up and stick it in a car and run it.

189K is on the low end.. I had a '95 legacy and I had 225K on that and the only reason I don't have it and the motor was because it was totaled.

mine has 262,000 mi and i will re-do the head gaskets. dropping in a random motor is asking for head gaskets in the future. People need to get off the high mileage is bad and instead recognize that lack of maintenance is bad. higer mile motors generally reflect the amount of routine service to achieve thos miles, hwereas ower mile engines are up against the wall for crucial maintenance.

One could blame the failure on old water pump, corroded radiator, or low coolant before the mileage.

if 1324 has not seen the car,

and she is not car smart,

and has an ej22 engine,

what are the chances she really has bad head gaskets?

the shop telling her this could be looking for an ''upgrade sale''.

go in for an oil change and a CEL and you get,

''would you like head gaskets with that?''

tell her to get a second opinion.

and make sure she does NOT tell the second shop, ''i think it's the head gaskets''.

Edited by johnceggleston

She just told me it did crazy over heat white smoke from exhaust and under hood.. She found a motor for $500 Plus tax and her mechanic will do it for $325

She is not sure of the mileage on the motor but the place as a warranty for 30 days.

that new/uncooked motor with the old cooling system may not make that 30 days mark !!! Check that old cooling system to prevent cooking this next one!

Yes, what happened to cause it to overheat in the first place?

Blown hose?

leaky radiator?

stuck thermostat?

there had to be a reason for it to overheat, the question is: what was it?

Been able to save two 2.2 s with head retorque both were 300000km + and both were pushing bubbles into overflow the one got a turn on all 12 bolts other only could move 8 but both stopped blowing bubbles in over flow and have seen 10000+ kms since no bubbles and no problems. This only works for slight leaks if badly gone will not help