Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do you lock the flywheel?

I am putting in a new clutch, and for the liftime waranty to be valid I need to get the flywheel machined. So when I try to get the flywheel off it just spins. My chiltons manuel says to lock the flywheel but doesnt say how(I hate chiltons). So how do you lock the flywheel?

Thanks

Brian

There are a few ways, I prefer a MASTER, get a combo one though, cause keys are easy to lose. :lol:

Seriously though, you can put a punch through one of the holes in the FW holding it against the bellhousing, a socket and rachet on the front pully nuts (which I usually use), or they actually make a tool specifically for holding flywheels, pretty much most tool supply places have em. Lotsa luck,

Well I got it off. I ended up using an open end box wrench and propping it up against the left engine to tranny stud and putting the wrench in the teath of the fly wheel. It held it there while I pryed on the bolts with the socket and a 2 foot pipe extension. A big screw driver would have worked also. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Just on a side note I would never attempt a clutch swap if the board wasnt available. Everyone has been a great help everytime I have worked on my car. Thanks everyone!

Another side note if you care, I fried the clutch two days ago on 5/2/04. My Jeep friends and I went to Reiter Pit(they want us to call it Reiter Trails now because its more politicaly correct or somthing) for the 15th Annual reiter cleanup Day. It was pretty fun, 4byin and picking up stuff. I strapped two tires to the roof rack and put a ton of crap in the back. There was a BBQ also and it was good. After lunch we headed out for some real wheelin'. I think the trail was called backup. Well it was petty knarly and the cheroke with 30's had a harder time than I did but didnt fry his clutch either. I had to get towed out the last 1/8th of the trail. I was able to drive home under my own power but barely got up the driveway and into the garage. Once again reiter wins. Reiter 3 Subee 1. O well. I had fun:)

Thanx again

Brian

I use to use a real simple method, I had a strip of metal with a hole drilled in each end. I would slip one of the holes over one of the studs for the tranny, then use one of the pressure plate bolts to secure the other end of the strip to the flywheel, that worked pretty well. Subaru has a neat tool, but I've never seen one for sale anywhere. Now I use an air impact wrench, much quicker, less hassle.