Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL won't start after girlfriend added too much oil...

So my girlfriend added too much oil to the car yesterday and then tried to start it. It would not start. What is my course of action here and what are the chances that the engine is screwed? I'm guessing drain the oil completely and refill to proper level but why won't it turn over?

Maybe it sucked some up in the PCV. oil capacity should be about 4.5 qts with filter.

Sp the engine is hydro locked, or just won't start? maybe the cylinders are full of oil. correct the oil level, reove the spark plugs and the engine should crank, pushing out any oil that may be in the cyliders. prepare for a mess, place some rags over the spark plug holes. maybe spray some carb cleaner in the cylinders to wash out the oil, clean the plugs or replace them, start the car, and let the oil burn off. Once it is running again, perhaps sea foam it to get any oil out of the intake runners

• Like 1

Sorry, it turns over but makes a high pitch whirring sound. I'm assuming hydrolock but I'm not sure. I plan on following your instructions this evening after work. My only question, seeing as I am a certified noob, is where/how does one sea foam?

If the engine was hydrolocked it wouldn't turn over, so that is not your issue.  I assume in your original post you meant that it won't start.  Seafoam can be used many ways.  The instructions are pretty easy to follow.  What year is your GL?

Not sure but would a broken timing belt make a high pitch whirring sound cause the cranks not turning valves, thus the motors turning over quicker? Not that the oil level would have anything to do with that but...

Excellent point...I'll check it out.

The sound would be uneven though- with at least one cylinder with closed valves making compression.

Remove the distributor cap to watch the rotor turn as you crank or just pull all 4 plugs like was previously suggested and then crank.

You need to remove all 4 plugs because the other side of the engine could be the side with the busted belt if that's what it is.  You should hear air pumping out from each plug hole while cranking.

Are you sure the sound is coincidentally just the noise of the starter motor not engaging?

The sound would be uneven though- with at least one cylinder with closed valves making compression.

Remove the distributor cap to watch the rotor turn as you crank or just pull all 4 plugs like was previously suggested and then crank.

You need to remove all 4 plugs because the other side of the engine could be the side with the busted belt if that's what it is.  You should hear air pumping out from each plug hole while cranking.

Are you sure the sound is coincidentally just the noise of the starter motor not engaging?

I removed all four plugs and turned the key. It just made the same noise. It isn't a continuous whirring. It stops for a split second and then continues like it's not engaging, but it has never sounded like this before when it didn't want to start.

I removed all four plugs and turned the key. It just made the same noise. It isn't a continuous whirring. It stops for a split second and then continues like it's not engaging, but it has never sounded like this before when it didn't want to start.

When the battery had died before and it didn't want to start it made the usual chugchugchug sound. But now it's more like a wheeeeeeeclick wheeeeeeclick...if that helps you to visualize it at all.

Sounds like a starter motor problem.  If you know that the engine rotates, check the oil pressure. If you have a broken timing belt on the passenger side, the oil pump does not rotate. Zero oil pressure on the gauge and the engine cranks over with little resistance.  Take off the plastic timing belt covers and lose them.

Where did your girlfriend put the oil----exactly????

Sounds like a starter motor problem.  If you know that the engine rotates, check the oil pressure. If you have a broken timing belt on the passenger side, the oil pump does not rotate. Zero oil pressure on the gauge and the engine cranks over with little resistance.  Take off the plastic timing belt covers and lose them.

Where did your girlfriend put the oil----exactly????

She put the oil in the correct place. That was the first question I asked.

I second the starter problem just based on your wheeeeeeclick description, although you are saying you have physically seen the belts move when it is being turned over?

I watched the belts move from the driver's seat and marked them to make sure they had moved.

Do you have a timing light to see if it is getting spark?  You can also pull a plug. Attach it to the plug wire and grab the plug with a nice pair of INSULATED pliers and slightly ground it on the block while someone else turns the car over.  You should see a nice spark.  You need to start from the beginning and slowly work your way through the system until the problem is isolated.  Spark and fuel...

Edited by chompy