Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was wondering what is wrong with my car. Sometimes at slow speeds when I turn the wheel I'll feel a vibration very briefly that is accompanied by a slight noise. The noise is very low pitched and the vibration I can only describe as if something was catching the wheel.

This only happens at slow speeds usually around 5mph but occasionally at higher speeds such as 15mph. It also usually happens when I'm taking sharper turns. It's starting to happen more often now and I'm curious as to what might be causing this.

car details?

could be torque bind, search for info.

try idling through tight circles on dry pavement. maybe give 'slight' amount of gas. If you feel jerkiness in the car - that's often torque bind, 1 or 2 other possibilities.

if your car is an automatic, try using the FWD fuse and test again.

are all the tires the same model and wear-level?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I have a 2003 subaru outback sedan H6. The problem is that it doesn't always happen. It happens a lot but not always. And after I've been driving for a while it won't happen.

Could you give me more info on torque bind and how bad is it exactly? How do I fix it if it is torque bind?

if the AWD system tries to engage on dry pavement, instead of tires slipping , those forces start building-up in the drive train.

I'm not certain from your post exactly what you are experiencing, but idling thru some tight circles on dry pavement while trying to feel/listen/sense 'jerkiness' - then doing the same after inserting a spare fuse into the FWD slot in the fuse box under the hood, will help diagnose the car's problem

maybe read some here; http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143241-flushing-tranny-for-torque-bind/?hl=%2Btorque+%2Bbind

when you reported something "catching the wheel" - did you mean a feeling in the car, or the steering wheel?. There can be air in the power steering system that can make a whining noise and/or cause pulsing in the steering wheel.

lots of info if you search using ' torque bind ' or ' noisy power steering ' or ' air in power steering ' , etc.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The feeling of the tire catching is felt in the steering wheel. It does not actually catch but feels like it's just powering through whatever is causing it to feel like it is catching. I'm at work right now but I'll idle through some tight circles in the parking lot when I get off and see what happens.

Try checking the power steering fluid to see if there are bubbles. I read somewhere (here?) that tightening too much the P/S belt cover when doing work on the alternator may push the P/S reservoir to one side, allowing bubbles to get in.

As a matter of fact the site was still on my browser history :) Here you go:
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-is-the-power-steering-making-noise-on-my-subaru-outback/

My H6 has about 138,000 miles and I just replaced the drive belt about 500 miles ago along with two pulleys. I haven't changed the power steering fluid since I've owned the vehicle (bought at 125k miles). I've never looked at the condition of my ball joints before either.

first - check power steering fluid level and condition!

if level is low, add fluid to full mark.

start the car & slowly turn wheels from center to lock, to opposite lock and back to center - maybe even do this a couple, three times.

check fluid level again.

repeat as needed until level stays where it should be.

Well I checked the power steering fluid and it's not bad. There were no bubbles at all in the tank and everything seemed like it was working.

just to check, you looked while the car was idling?

some people have had the u- joint (double cardan joint or w'ever) get stiff in the steering column.

I think you may be at a point now where you need a good mechanic to test drive the car.

Maybe ask in a new thread if anyone can recomm. a good shop near Great Falls.