Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sub frame swap?

kirzick

Earler this winter i slid my beloved gl into a curb. The rear end not dog tracks pretty bad. I took it to school and came to the conclusion that the sub frame the rear diff and hubs are mounted to was tweaked. A friend of my has a old brat he said i could take parts off. I haven't looked at the brat yet. Anyone know if i could swap the rear sub frames?

Thank you!

With another vehicle of the same vintage you could swap the rear suspension,but the 79 has a very different suspension.

From your pic it looks like your car is lifted.Are you sure the rear lift blocks themselves are not tweaked?

Its not lifted its stock except it is on some bigger 6 lug tires(dont know size of the top of my head). The collision shop instructor told me he was pretty sure it was the subframe. the mounts on the body looked okay and straight.

• 3 weeks later...

Would an ea82 frame mount up?

no,  it needs to be 82-84,  maybe 81,  or up to 87 brat, or up to 89-  ea81style hatchback,,  but i have seen the actual mounts that fit between the sub frame and the body, , there are some sandwich with rubber mounts,,  and they differ by year even in the 82-84 cars so there are variations even there.   i think you can swap them if you use everything from one or the other but if you get to remove the parts you buy,  be sure to get those as well.

Edited by ruparts