Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member with big dreams.

So I am new to this forum and to Subaru Ownership.  I recently acquired a 1987 Subaru GL Sedan 4WD with the manual transmission and two speed transfer case and the 1800 OHV engine.  The body on the car is a little beat up but the car runs well and drives nice.  It does have over 200000 miles on it and the motor smokes a bit.  I have a few things that I have already done and some that I want to do.  For instance I already did the two barrel webber swap to the car. the previous owner had cut the AC lines so I pulled all the AC components out that I could get my hands on under the hood.  Along with the webber swap I removed a huge amount of  the vacuum lines and needless vacuum devices under the hood.  My next plan is a friend has a 1800 engine that he pulled out of an old car just laying around.  I was going to do a rebuild on that engine make a custom intake and exhaust to eliminate all the egr and emissions that are still on the car and basically strip it down to the bare essentials to run.  Following this I was planning on doing the 5 lug conversion I have read about to get disk brakes on all four corners and allow for a better selection of rims.  Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated once I get the new motor on the stand I will start a thread and post pics religiously to show the progress.

Overhead valves or overhead cam?

You do not need to make custom manifolds. The intake would be a huge project. Just blank off the EGR ports with small plates. Couple pipe plugs in unused holes. Plug the EGR port in the passenger side head at the #3 cylinder. Remaining vacuum functions from the manifold are: brake booster, PVC, vacuum assist line for the heat/defrost/vent control on the dash. Cap remaining tubes.

The '1800 that was just lying around' could be a huge can of worms.

You have a 27 year old car with about 70HP at the wheels. Do not go overboard. Find good parts and make it run well. It will last a long time.

I am aware I do not need to make a new manifold for the car the main reason for this however is to get rid of the stacked adapters that webber give you with the carb.  This project started out with a engine rebuild to replace the worn engine that resides under the hood.  I am aware of all the shortcomings and pitfalls that could be awaiting me with a "just laying around" engine.  I have done similar stuff in the past this is just my first Subaru attempt.  The existing engine and the replacement are both overhead cam engines.  My goal here is to make something that will remove all the excess "fat" make the car breath better, and spice up the drive a bit.  I am not going for street racing levels of power.  I just want to make going up hills a little more pleasant.  Basically I want to increase the drive-ability of the car.

Edited by Crispus