Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Celica ST

I've had this car for almost 3 years, since my last XT6 died. Not much to say about it originally, 1.6l, AT, FWD, Manual everything (except the sunroof).

But, over the years, I've been putting miles on it, and making it mine.

The day I bought it:

DSCF0967Medium.jpg

Some Junkyard parts to add cruise control:

S7302211Medium.jpg

It's 5x100, but uses lower offset wheels that Subarus. Needed these in the rear:

DSCF1089Custom.jpg

And making good use of the Blizzak Revo1s that have graced several of my Subarus:

DSCF1147Medium.jpg

Built a "light bar"

DSCF1167.jpg

Ice testing with ZRT #171:

IMG_20120114_130332.jpg

IMG_20120114_130200.jpg

Removed the front sway bar (doing it correctly means dropping the exhaust.....so I used a sawzall)

IMG_20120218_143758.jpg

I let our rally driver use it for Recce before 100 Acre Wood Rally a couple years ago.....and he got it stuck:

imagejpeg952.jpg

So he let me use his rally wheels and Blizzak WS70s for the drive home:

IMG_20120227_102906.jpg

That trip was the end of the stock struts, so I put a full set of KYB GR2s. And to continue (beyond front sway bar removal) changing the balance to more oversteer-y, I used ground-control adjustment sleeves (left over from the FrankenWagon), with some Summit Racing 175 lb/in springs (stock are about 130 lb).

IMG_20120321_114512.jpg

Which lifted the rear for a more aggressive stance:

IMG_20120321_123559.jpg

Trailer hitch:

IMG_20120407_180335.jpg

Towing my Jet-Ski:

IMG_20120528_160558.jpg

Put a new radiator in it....old one...

IMG_20120812_135459.jpg

Last winter, I noticed a blown "bushing" (they're actually spherical bearings) in one of the rear lateral links, it made for some really goofy handling, and was chewing up tires. Luckily I had some old all-seasons to sacrifice while I awaited an opportunity to repair it correctly.

Poly bushings are available for the next body style, so I waited to find one in a junkyard. A few weeks ago, I scored....a '94 Celica GT came up in the local UPull yard....and got this

NCM_0065.jpg

Had the backing plates sand-blasted, as they were very badly rusted

1941332_510103962427447_1277361085_o.jpg

POR15

NCM_0096.jpg

One new caliper (really only needed a bracket....but they're not commonly available separately), and painted them:

NCM_0094.jpg

Painted the rest of the parts, installed the poly bushings, and started assembly:

NCM_0099.jpg

Wheel studs removed so I can transfer the longer ones and spacers from the old hubs. Rotors, pads, shoes, and hardware will be here tomorrow. Then I need the snow to recede enough to actually do the job....

• Like 1

I don't know how common knowledge this is, but I know this works on the 94-99 celica gt's. Cheap front brake upgrade is some gt rotors and brackets, and es300 dual piston calipers they'll bolt up to stock gt brackets, use stock gt pads and fit under 15s. I did it on my old 94 for about 40 bucks.

Mr. Chux, stuff an ej into it.. throwback BRZ!

I spy jdm goldies.

Ha, an EJ would be interesting. If I were going to swap something, it would be the a VVT 1MZFE (variable valve timed 3.0l aluminum V6 with 210hp), but this chassis isn't worth the effort.

Also, they're the 17x8 Rota Torques that have graced several of my Subarus.

I don't know how common knowledge this is, but I know this works on the 94-99 celica gt's. Cheap front brake upgrade is some gt rotors and brackets, and es300 dual piston calipers they'll bolt up to stock gt brackets, use stock gt pads and fit under 15s. I did it on my old 94 for about 40 bucks.

That's very good to know, I'll look into that. I've been planning the rotor/bracket swap from a 5th gen GT and keeping the stock calipers. But if there's some combination of 6th gen parts that would allow dual-piston calipers would be interesting.

I'm really hoping that I can find an upgrade that will still fit under my XT6 14s....but that may not be an option. Considering just some performance pads, but I don't want to do that without new rotors, and if I get new rotors....they might as well be larger....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well...I've been saying for years that this car would be killed by rust. And it happened......not how I expected, but it was still rust. The oil pan began leaking, and over just one tank of gas (I check at every fill-up), I lost over 2 quarts, which left about 3/4 of a quart. Oil pressure switch wire connector broke and fell off a couple years ago while doing the timing belt job....should have fixed that...so no warning in that fashion. Engine started knocking, I immediately bumped it into neutral and it stalled. Got it home a dropped the oil pan and found a spun #1 rod bearing, and a very deformed rod. Pulling the head to replace the rod quickly snowballs into a $500ish rebuild....and this car isn't worth that.

So, the partout has begun. And on Saturday, I'm going to get a Black '91 GT 5MT convertible with 140k miles, no rust, and a bent control arm for $1k. I figure I swap the suspension over, and I've got a better car than this one ever was.

• 1 month later...