Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gen one steering question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,699 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:16 AM

Ok....I get this "knocking" kinda sound in the steering shaft when I hit a bump, or at 60-65 MPH. The steering is tight, new outer tie rod ends, (it aligned perfectly), new lower ball joints and balanced new tires.

The steering wheel does not shake or vibrate, driving or braking either, but even a bump at low speed and you can hear the "knock". Even if I hold the wheel firmly at 60 mph, I still hear the "rattle/knock"!!!

Now I do have some 1/8" spacers on the wheels, bacuae I'm using Loyale steel wheels and they rub with out the spacers.

I'm thinking it's the steering shaft universal joint?? I even replaced the steering wheel.....same noise.

Help! Ideas?

78 DL 2WD wagon.

Todd

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:29 AM

Does the steering wheel move up and down in the column at all? I had a 85 wagon that did this, and I found out theres a poly collar around the shaft at the top. It wears out eventually and the wheel knocks and moves around some.
I dont know if this is the same setup as yours tho, so this could be just pointless rambling at 1:30am.

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,891 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:02 AM

I had some aftermarket tie rod ends that would hit the inside edges of my wheels and do the same thing but that was on an ea81 86 hatchback.

If that isn't it you might have to stick some gen1 wheels on just to eliminate the spacers. Sorry to even say this.

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:07 AM

Ypur struts aren't loose at the top or bottom, are they?

#5 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,699 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:23 PM

I think it's the poly collar. I'm ordering it to find out. It's pretty cheap...SURPRISED ME!

Todd

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:10 AM

Could be the control arm or bushings too. My wagon does this on one side, and I have come to find out that the bushing is worn because the control arm mount is slightly bent it looks like..... EA81, but your setup should be similar. On mine it's not really a knock, just a much louder transmission of noise when that side hits something going down the freeway - like those reflectors in the road. You can "hear" the passenger side a LOT more than the drivers side. Hard to say really. Front end noises are always a bitch to figure out. Could be ball joints too. The ball joints on my Brat make noise when I take off hard.... hell - could be almost anything - but those are a few ideas.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users