Ultimate Subaru Message Board

battery keeps dying. New alternator and battery

try pulling the trunk liner back/out to see if you can isolate where the clicking is coming from - on our 90 sedan (and wagon) the seat belt controller was on the drivers side - but it is possible they relocated it to the passenger side on later years...the box was a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes - maybe a little more square...

as far as "fixing" it, I never tried - on the sedan we had, we made sure both belts were in the upper position and unplugged the box - they had to be manually unbuckled to get in & out of the car. My wagon was like yours - drivers side worked, passenger side didnt, but I never had a problem with battery draining or hearing any clicking so I left it alone - never really had passengers, so it wasnt a big deal to me.

fusible link wire gauge will vary depending on the rating I believe - the higher the rating the thicker the wire... I may be wrong about that tho...

Edited by heartless

Fusible links supply power to multiple things, not just a single load, so removing a link suppling power to that will remove power to a number of things.

Heartless, you are correct about the wire size and current rating.

• Like 1

1.  temporary fix so the car is usable - disconnect the battery when not in use or get one of those "quick disconnect" terminals at the auto parts store.  then you can at least drive the car while testing/working on it.

unless you're positive this clicking is abnormal and a cause for concern - i'd simply test the system to verify first.

1.  check for an actual drain at the battery.  multi-meter between cable end and battery post to measure milliamps of draw with nothing in the car on.  50-ish is normal, anything triple digits is bad.

2.  start disconnect fuses to see when the drain drops from triple digits to 20-50 milliamps - then you've isolated the circuit it's on and can look up in the FSM or ask here what items are all fed by that fuse - it'll be one of those things.

3.  start unplugging all those items until it disappears.

• Like 1