Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased a 2014 Forester non-turbo and have noticed a lot of highway wind sensitivity, even light cross winds. Not noticed on the short highway drives when taking test drives. This requires constant attention and steering wheel correction; direction ability is much better on a windless day or night on trips. This I attribute to the following possible reasons: new model is tall, car is fairly light, assisted steering, short wheelbase, possibly tire type (Yokohama Geolander G91), tire pressures, alignment issues. Directional issues were also a little noticeable just driving around town.

Attempts to correct: lowering stock air pressure from 35 to 30 helped, alignment by the dealer helped (they said it was within parameters, but corrected it to 'dead on'). Wanted to change to Michelin tires which I favor but haven't done so, besides, not sure if that would correct what I perceive as an issue if there is much less of a problem when there is no wind.

We prefer to drive our Toyota van on long trips since it is so easy and comfortable to drive, but still take some trips with our new car, even went to Michigan this January from NC. This is not a sufficient problem to sell the car, but it is annoying. May have chosen the Outback instead, though initial impression was that the Forester was much more fun to drive and peppier.

Anyone else with the new Forester noticed this tendency? 

Jlubbs

• 2 weeks later...

I don't own a Forester, but am considering a new or newer used Subaru.  The Forester has several things about it that would make it more susceptible to crosswinds than a Toyota Sienna.   They are pretty much the ones you mention, lighter weight, almost straight up and down sides in a tall vehicle, and narrower width.

I know nothing about the OE tires, escept for a couple of negative comments on the subaruforester.org forum.  My expectations of OE tires are pretty low, though.  Hope this bump gets a comment or two from actual Forester owners.

High ground clearance gives the wind a chance to get under it.......unlike a minivan.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. I had a '96 Outback that had just shy of 9" of clearance which is about the same as the new Foresters but I never noticed any problems in crosswinds, however it is a much sleeker and lower car. The Forester has the most clearance in it's class and it's certainly one of the boxiest small suvs out there.

Edit: And if it REALLY bothered you, swap some Impreza struts onto it if you don't mind it riding really low. I bet that would make it super stable in crosswinds. Also, I would like to know how the Forester XT handles in crosswinds compared to the regular Forester. Maybe it's a matter of suspension tuning. I hear the Foresters are quite a soft ride.

Edited by Subaru_dude

Make sure the rear wheel alignment is PERFECT. So perfect that you skip the dealer, ask around and find a really good alignment shop. My 05 was a handful in a cross wind. i almost gave up on it until i found an alignment shop that knew what they were doing, had a properly calibrated machine, and now it is a pleasure to drive.

Yes this is something the dealer should be able to do, but even with computers alignment is still a bit of an art form.You might want to give the dealer a crack at it, but the tools are only as good as the talent operating them.

• 7 months later...

Tires and alignment make all the difference. Get the best tires you can. Snows, of any sort, make the stock Geolander tires feel like imitation tires made of plastic. The low center of gravity should offset the high ground clearance for stability. 

Edited by DeYo