Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie BRAT suspension lift questions

galopagus

Hello to all I have enjoyed learning from all that you guys know. I live in SouthEastern Washington (Walla Walla) so not to far from all the action. I am working on a 1980 Brat that I just picked up. I have got a 5 speed dual range that I plan to mate to the ea71 that runs perfect and seems to have a lot more torque than the ea82 in my other car. I intend to use this for off roading and would like to do the 6" lift.

My question is regarding suspension lift. I haven't read anything about it but would it be possible to swap in taller springs for more suspension flex and height? For example find some car to swap struts from or change out the springs from the current struts to taller ones from elsewhere. If possible any donors I could look for?

What is involved in swapping the rear suspension from a ea82 powered wagon in place of the torsion bar of the brat? Will the same cv shafts from the brat still work in that suspension?

Thanks for all your help, any information will help.

Drew

The 5 speed D/R won't bolt to the EA71 unless you aquire a late 80's or JDM EA71 bell housing. I sugest you get a used EA81 if you want the 5 speed.

As for suspension lift's, you can do it on the rear a little, but I sugest you swap in an EA81 model rear end with, and then use EA82 coil-overs to lift it. Your camber will be pretty wacky, but that doesn't matter so much for off-roading. I have about 3" of suspension lift in the back of my EA81 wagon using this method.

As for the front, I'm sorry to say that with the stock axle's, there's not a whole lot you can do. I was just talking to McBrat last night, and with the suspension on his 82 Brat all the way up, and using RX springs, he's eating axles like mad. They just don't have the travel for any kind of suspension lift in the front. You could get about 1" maybe 1.5", but your axle life will be dramatically reduced.

Gen 1's are notoriously difficult to lift. It's been done, but not many times. It's just too much trouble, and Gen 1's are getting rare. Get yourself a Gen 2 wagon (80-84 body style) or hatch and lift that. You should be able to easily trade the Gen 1 to someone who will love it for what it is, and not beat the hell out of it.

GD

That's kind of a weird one, can't remember it coming up.

My question is regarding suspension lift. I haven't read anything about it but would it be possible to swap in taller springs for more suspension flex and height? For example find some car to swap struts from or change out the springs from the current struts to taller ones from elsewhere. If possible any donors I could look for?
Good question. Scott/Subarubrat (A search for Subarubrat.net? will bring up lots of info) has added his own variation of shocks and struts. His would be a good example to follow. You will have to find a way to get longer travel out of your axle/cv joints too. Since just about anything you use would need to be fabbed in, just about anything you choose to use could potentially work.

What is involved in swapping the rear suspension from a ea82 powered wagon in place of the torsion bar of the brat? Will the same cv shafts from the brat still work in that suspension?

I don't know of anybody who's tried this. I say just take measurements and a few guestimates and take it from there.

You're in the right place to start. Good luck.

• 8 years later...
ya i was doing some searching to lift y 79 brat and i found quite alotof info but the only thing i couldnt find is the specs for the 4" lift like the blocks and degrees if anyone could help me out id be super stoked :D

I have a 4" lift kit for sale... just needs bolts and steering extension.

how muchdo u want for it? and u did the toyota tranny swap right if so do u think u could pm me some more pics and details?

You can't mate an EA71 to a toyota tranny. The bell-housing that's made for toyota transmissions is designed to mate with EJ engines. So you would have to do an engine swap and a LOT of custom work.

Basically - if you have to as how it's done - you aren't prepared to do it. Read - the answers are here.

GD

Stab in the dark GD. . . Did you put the lift on your first lifted car?

If you can call it a lift - no I didn't. I could have but point in fact I traded a derelict car to "he who's name we shall not speak" for creation and installation of a lift for my '84 wagon. At the time I had neither the tools nor the work space to do the lift myself. It was a mistake not to do the job myself because I ended up redoing every aspect of the lift on that car.... the old adage "if you want it done right...." applies well. And with the help of some board members and of course the SEARCH function here on the USMB I'm quite sure that even without the tools and space I could have got the job done :banghead:

Something along the lines of "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." Albert E.

I'm proposing that he do some of that. Rather than bug Mick via PM for pictures and information that he's already posted in his build thread - SEARCHING for that information would be a lot quicker, easier, and less intrusive.

And then there's the Toyota adaptor thread. Where he could find out all he needs to know about mating a toyota tranny.... to something other than the engine he has now.

And as you are well aware by the tone of his posts - he isn't going to have the gumption for lifting that gen 1 once he discovers how unsuitable it is for that purpose. It almost never happens. And so it's easier to not beat about the bush and just tell him it's a waste of his time.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

If you can call it a lift - no I didn't. I could have but point in fact I traded a derelict car to "he who's name we shall not speak" for creation and installation of a lift for my '84 wagon. At the time I had neither the tools nor the work space to do the lift myself. It was a mistake not to do the job myself because I ended up redoing every aspect of the lift on that car.... the old adage "if you want it done right...." applies well. And with the help of some board members and of course the SEARCH function here on the USMB I'm quite sure that even without the tools and space I could have got the job done :banghead:

I'm proposing that he do some of that. Rather than bug Mick via PM for pictures and information that he's already posted in his build thread - SEARCHING for that information would be a lot quicker, easier, and less intrusive.

And then there's the Toyota adaptor thread. Where he could find out all he needs to know about mating a toyota tranny.... to something other than the engine he has now.

And as you are well aware by the tone of his posts - he isn't going to have the gumption for lifting that gen 1 once he discovers how unsuitable it is for that purpose. It almost never happens. And so it's easier to not beat about the bush and just tell him it's a waste of his time.

GD

ya im actually in a fab shop that is pretty legit i could build pro link, 4 link , wats link,basically i could make a lotus frame to a full rockcrawler frame to a space frame to a full frame tube chassis nhra frames, basicaly anything im just looking for specs for blocks so i know all measurments i could take my own so i can brace it and make it better with bracing and tube framing.

Few people have lifted first gen Brats - to the point that finding any specs is going to be tough.

The reason few people have lifted them is that they are very narrow and have really short axles - makes for poor suspension articulation. A block lift is a body lift only and it's only purpose is to fit larger tires - which the EA71 you have isn't going to deal with well - not to mention you have no low range and to get one you will have to swap both engine and tranny..... it's just too much work.

McBrat has a second gen and they are completely different - longer, wider, different rear suspension setup, larger engine, low range 4WD, etc. Besides that he has a solid axle in the back and a custom tube subframe. Not blocks. He also doesn't have a toyota tranny in it. It's still a part-time 4WD Subaru tranny.

You need to get your search on. This is all covered in many previous posts. You aren't going to find what your asking for because what you are asking for isn't a popular thing to do. You should do more reading and find out why that is so you can decide if you even want to pursue it. I can tell you that you won't like the EA71 for pushing larger tires - which make the block lift rather superfluous.

GD

Few people have lifted first gen Brats - to the point that finding any specs is going to be tough.

The reason few people have lifted them is that they are very narrow and have really short axles - makes for poor suspension articulation. A block lift is a body lift only and it's only purpose is to fit larger tires - which the EA71 you have isn't going to deal with well - not to mention you have no low range and to get one you will have to swap both engine and tranny..... it's just too much work.

McBrat has a second gen and they are completely different - longer, wider, different rear suspension setup, larger engine, low range 4WD, etc. Besides that he has a solid axle in the back and a custom tube subframe. Not blocks. He also doesn't have a toyota tranny in it. It's still a part-time 4WD Subaru tranny.

You need to get your search on. This is all covered in many previous posts. You aren't going to find what your asking for because what you are asking for isn't a popular thing to do. You should do more reading and find out why that is so you can decide if you even want to pursue it. I can tell you that you won't like the EA71 for pushing larger tires - which make the block lift rather superfluous.

GD

oh definatly man the ea71 sucks fosho if i was looking to liftit it would be motor swap and trans and full plated unibody or tube chassis lol the ea71 doesnt even push the stock tires in mud its a turd.

oh definatly man the ea71 sucks fosho if i was looking to liftit it would be motor swap and trans and full plated unibody or tube chassis lol the ea71 doesnt even push the stock tires in mud its a turd.

Then you really don't need any help. Asking for block specs when you are doing a full drivetrain swap and tube chassis is entirely pointless. Gut it, put it on a rotissery and start fabbing. If you have the skills to do that then you have no need of anyone else's specs - especially as they relate to lifts you won't be building.

GD