Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wahmyhands

wahmyhands

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Huntsville

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Does anyone know if any other year transmission will fit an automatic 83? All the junkyards around that miraculously Have old subarus sadly do not have my year. Thanks you.

#2 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think any of the EA81 generation automatics should work fine. That would be 81-84 wagons, 81-86 Brat and hatches. Apart from maybe the turbo models, I think they all had the same gear ratios and would work out just fine. Just double check 2wd vs 4wd and that the gear ratios match from car to car.

Been a while since I've done a whole lot with these EA81s so someone less rusty than myself may offer more insight, but you should have plenty of options for a good trans.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 934 posts
  • PNW

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

How about a 3AT from an EA82 wagon?  I would think it could be made to work. The 5 speed D/R or even S/R is well worth it too. There are issues specific to the auto ---> manual swap though, so do your research.

Edited by Crazyeights, 09 April 2014 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users