Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did Weber swap, what's this?

So I just did a Weber swap on my 84 EA81 wagon and I removed all the smog stuff. On the passenger side right behind the motor next to the transmission is this little cannister that had a hose going to the air filter. My question is what is this and can I remove it?

The canister at the firewall?  Does it look like a tiny can on it's side with an inlet/outlet?  If so that's part of the vacuum system for your heater.  You can plug that line directly into one of the manifold vac ports.

The canister at the firewall?  Does it look like a tiny can on it's side with an inlet/outlet?  If so that's part of the vacuum system for your heater.  You can plug that line directly into one of the manifold vac ports.

No.....he's talking about the ASV and Anti-Afterburn system that was in those old Carbies.....

To the OP......you can get rid of that plastic canister........If you want to plug the tubes off the exhaust that feed it.........unscrew the large nut on the pipe......shove a Quarter (the coin) in the opening and screw the pipe back in.........blocked off.

You can remove those tubes and their base entirely if you want.....but then you gotta screw with swapping exhaust studs......and possibly extending the y-pipe or using EA82 one.

Oh ya, I see what he was talking about now...  Curious as to why he would have to swap exhaust studs after removing the tubing?  I removed the metal tube and the rest of the asv and didn't have to mess with the studs in any way.  Not to hijack a thread...

Oh ya, I see what he was talking about now...  Curious as to why he would have to swap exhaust studs after removing the tubing?  I removed the metal tube and the rest of the asv and didn't have to mess with the studs in any way.  Not to hijack a thread...

On EA81 cars the tube that feeds the reed valves is mounted to a Block that sandwiches between the head and the y-pipe.  The blocks bolt to 2 studs.....the nthe y pipe flange is rotated 90 and bolted to the block on the other 2 studs..

If you remove those blocks.....you have to move the studs to the other holes.....and use a EA82 y pipe cause the EA81 won't reach the head now.

EA82 is not the same just remove tubes....block the ports ont he head.

On EA81 cars the tube that feeds the reed valves is mounted to a Block that sandwiches between the head and the y-pipe.  The blocks bolt to 2 studs.....the nthe y pipe flange is rotated 90 and bolted to the block on the other 2 studs..

If you remove those blocks.....you have to move the studs to the other holes.....and use a EA82 y pipe cause the EA81 won't reach the head now.

EA82 is not the same just remove tubes....block the ports ont he head.

I have an ea81 but that wasn't the case... Not to be argumentative.  The hole assembly is bolted on and came off easily.  There was no need to remove the head or any studs...

I have an ea81 but that wasn't the case... Not to be argumentative.  The hole assembly is bolted on and came off easily.  There was no need to remove the head or any studs...

Not removing head.  Removing the spacer block that the ASV pipes emerge from.  It unbolts from the head.....but then to reinstall the exhaust.....the EXHAUST (not heads)  studs need to be moved to the other set of holes

If this is in your engine bay near the firewall you have an EA82 model car.  What year?

So with mine I just removed the asv tubing and blocked it with a quarter, leaving that in.  Is there an advantage to removing the spacer/block?  The upper end of the asv where the vac connects to was the section that simply unbolted off.  Sorry again to the OP if this is no help to them...

Edited by chompy

So with mine I just removed the asv tubing and blocked it with a quarter, leaving that in.  Is there an advantage to removing the spacer/block?  The upper end of the asv where the vac connects to was the section that simply unbolted off.  Sorry again to the OP if this is no help to them...

Duh......That's what I said here.....

To the OP......you can get rid of that plastic canister........If you want to plug the tubes off the exhaust that feed it.........unscrew the large nut on the pipe......shove a Quarter (the coin) in the opening and screw the pipe back in.........blocked off.

Perhaps you didn't understand that.  I was not saying any studs had to be removed for that part.

Is there an advantage to removing the spacer/block? 

Not really....that's why I went on to say this.

You can remove those tubes and their base entirely if you want.....but then you gotta screw with swapping exhaust studs......and possibly extending the y-pipe or using EA82 one.

indicating the troubles associated......and why it's a PITA unless you are removing the exhaust for other reasons.

i am think OP mad pig has something like what i had - silver coloured metal can about diameter of 330ml Coke can and had a spring clip retainer on a lid, one end from the top ? of 1,3 cyl head and then feeding into EGR feed ? on an intake ?

• Like 1

Um, if you do, plug up any holes it leaves behind in head and inlet manifold. When I first got my 84 Brumby, it had an import engine and this can hanging off one end and disconnected at the other with a bit of wood jambing up the hole - was enough to fool the rego inspectors.

Sem to recall a spark plug may fit the holes where it comes out ? Inside may have been just a roll of steel mesh ?