Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust collector leaks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LucasP

LucasP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

My wonderful 87 sedan dubbed the silver slayer has a huge exhaust leak in the collector where each header comes down and comes into one pipe.  I've looked around our local yard and found a couple but both were is worse shape than mine.  I have fairly decent welding skills and could make one, but I literally don't have the time in my schedule... 21 credits plus almost full time job.  

So what are people doing when their collectors go bad?  Aftermarket or alternatives?  I do plan to junk my cat and add a random flowmaster muffler I have laying around.  But I need to fix the collector leak before I do anyting.

#2 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

21 hours is insane! Drop a class and work on your Subaru! lol

Kidding. I have no real answer for you. 

John

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

My wonderful 87 sedan dubbed the silver slayer has a huge exhaust leak in the collector where each header comes down and comes into one pipe.  I've looked around our local yard and found a couple but both were is worse shape than mine.  

I do plan to junk my cat and add a random flowmaster muffler I have laying around.  But I need to fix the collector leak before I do anyting.

What you are calling the collector should be the CAT.

Nothing to do but weld up somethin new.

#4 LucasP

LucasP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

What you are calling the collector should be the CAT.

Nothing to do but weld up somethin new.

No... The cat is about a foot back from the collector.  I've always heard where the two headers come down and meet and turn into one pipe referred to as the collector.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

No... The cat is about a foot back from the collector.  I've always heard where the two headers come down and meet and turn into one pipe referred to as the collector.

That's the second cat, or a resonator depending on the model.

On EA82 cars the junction were the 2 pipes meet, What we call a y-pipe, is a CAT...it's the primary one.

You gotta just cut it off and either T or merge the pipes some other way.

I used a 3-1/2" to 2" step down adapter off the shelf.........hammered the large end down into an Oval.....the shoved 2 pieces of 1-3/4 into the ovalized end......one was a straight piece, one was a 90.......welded up.... A 2" pipe out hte other end to the muffler.  Put the 2" pipe into the end before you start hammering the big end to oval.....or it won't fit later.....

Then I held this piece up against the existing y-pipe and marked where to cut out.......Sawzall.........slip the pieces in.......tack weld..........drop the assembly and finish weld.   It's just exhaust

Edited by Gloyale, 09 April 2014 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users