Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust collector leaks

My wonderful 87 sedan dubbed the silver slayer has a huge exhaust leak in the collector where each header comes down and comes into one pipe.  I've looked around our local yard and found a couple but both were is worse shape than mine.  I have fairly decent welding skills and could make one, but I literally don't have the time in my schedule... 21 credits plus almost full time job.  

So what are people doing when their collectors go bad?  Aftermarket or alternatives?  I do plan to junk my cat and add a random flowmaster muffler I have laying around.  But I need to fix the collector leak before I do anyting.

My wonderful 87 sedan dubbed the silver slayer has a huge exhaust leak in the collector where each header comes down and comes into one pipe.  I've looked around our local yard and found a couple but both were is worse shape than mine.  

I do plan to junk my cat and add a random flowmaster muffler I have laying around.  But I need to fix the collector leak before I do anyting.

What you are calling the collector should be the CAT.

Nothing to do but weld up somethin new.

What you are calling the collector should be the CAT.

Nothing to do but weld up somethin new.

No... The cat is about a foot back from the collector.  I've always heard where the two headers come down and meet and turn into one pipe referred to as the collector.

No... The cat is about a foot back from the collector.  I've always heard where the two headers come down and meet and turn into one pipe referred to as the collector.

That's the second cat, or a resonator depending on the model.

On EA82 cars the junction were the 2 pipes meet, What we call a y-pipe, is a CAT...it's the primary one.

You gotta just cut it off and either T or merge the pipes some other way.

I used a 3-1/2" to 2" step down adapter off the shelf.........hammered the large end down into an Oval.....the shoved 2 pieces of 1-3/4 into the ovalized end......one was a straight piece, one was a 90.......welded up.... A 2" pipe out hte other end to the muffler.  Put the 2" pipe into the end before you start hammering the big end to oval.....or it won't fit later.....

Then I held this piece up against the existing y-pipe and marked where to cut out.......Sawzall.........slip the pieces in.......tack weld..........drop the assembly and finish weld.   It's just exhaust

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1