Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Glf fuel tank has become anorexic....help :/

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 petey

petey

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • gloucestershire-UK

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Just spent the last couple of weeks investigating a strong smell of fuel hanging around the hatch only to find a totally rotted filler neck and pinholes in the tank...
Tank fixed,new filler neck fabricated to exact specs of original,all refitted only now I can only get half a tank in before it reaches the top of the filler.....
What is the the relevance of the black box with three pipes that sits up in the boot behind the plastic liner?
All pipes have been replaced and in the correct order.
Also,what is the small breather by the filter? Would this be blocked somehow? Haven't tried air lining it till I know what it is and wether it's one way etc or not.
Seems odd it was brimming fine before I took the lot out....unless now my senders faulty reading only half when in actual fact it's full :/

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

#2 Legacy RallyGuy

Legacy RallyGuy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Dublin, Ireland

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Just spent the last couple of weeks investigating a strong smell of fuel hanging around the hatch only to find a totally rotted filler neck and pinholes in the tank...
Tank fixed,new filler neck fabricated to exact specs of original,all refitted only now I can only get half a tank in before it reaches the top of the filler.....
What is the the relevance of the black box with three pipes that sits up in the boot behind the plastic liner?
All pipes have been replaced and in the correct order.
Also,what is the small breather by the filter? Would this be blocked somehow? Haven't tried air lining it till I know what it is and wether it's one way etc or not.
Seems odd it was brimming fine before I took the lot out....unless now my senders faulty reading only half when in actual fact it's full :/

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

I've not worked on many 70s scoobies, but it's likely a charcoal container, to catch fumes while at idle or when running rich/fumes building up in the fuel tank, then fed back to the engine as needed.  There are valves in the canister that can get stuck, especially if it sat for a while.  A bit of naptha lightly sprayed into the inlets/outlets can free them up if they're not damaged and just gunky...  However if there's lots of gunk, then it's likely gelled fuel vapor and needs replaced.

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy, 09 April 2014 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users