Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Glf fuel tank has become anorexic....help :/

Just spent the last couple of weeks investigating a strong smell of fuel hanging around the hatch only to find a totally rotted filler neck and pinholes in the tank...

Tank fixed,new filler neck fabricated to exact specs of original,all refitted only now I can only get half a tank in before it reaches the top of the filler.....

What is the the relevance of the black box with three pipes that sits up in the boot behind the plastic liner?

All pipes have been replaced and in the correct order.

Also,what is the small breather by the filter? Would this be blocked somehow? Haven't tried air lining it till I know what it is and wether it's one way etc or not.

Seems odd it was brimming fine before I took the lot out....unless now my senders faulty reading only half when in actual fact it's full :/

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

Just spent the last couple of weeks investigating a strong smell of fuel hanging around the hatch only to find a totally rotted filler neck and pinholes in the tank...

Tank fixed,new filler neck fabricated to exact specs of original,all refitted only now I can only get half a tank in before it reaches the top of the filler.....

What is the the relevance of the black box with three pipes that sits up in the boot behind the plastic liner?

All pipes have been replaced and in the correct order.

Also,what is the small breather by the filter? Would this be blocked somehow? Haven't tried air lining it till I know what it is and wether it's one way etc or not.

Seems odd it was brimming fine before I took the lot out....unless now my senders faulty reading only half when in actual fact it's full :/

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

I've not worked on many 70s scoobies, but it's likely a charcoal container, to catch fumes while at idle or when running rich/fumes building up in the fuel tank, then fed back to the engine as needed.  There are valves in the canister that can get stuck, especially if it sat for a while.  A bit of naptha lightly sprayed into the inlets/outlets can free them up if they're not damaged and just gunky...  However if there's lots of gunk, then it's likely gelled fuel vapor and needs replaced.

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy