Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well get the phone call today. The car got hot and won"t start again after cooling down.  Will I get it towed home and start ripping into it. The water pump frooze up and melted the back of the belt. She would not start after cooling because all the pulleys are now bonded to the belt. I got it all apart and parts ordered and on the way. Just wanted to get as much info as possible, or if anyone has any pointers or things to look for. Just to make sure I covered all my bases. 96 legacy 2.2 single over head cams.

Any info would be greatly appreciared.

Thanks Brian

You probably know this already--great opportunity to "freshen up" the front end!

Make sure you use a Subaru OEM or equivalent water pump gasket (coated metal--not the "paper" kind!)  Might consider a new thermostat too--again OEM or equivalent (don't use a parts store cheapie!)

Replace all idlers and make sure the tensioner is in good condition.  Replace o-rings in the cam caps (left front and right rear.)  Pull the oil pump off and check the backing plate screws--they tend to loosen.  Loctite them!  Remount the oil pump with new o-ring and ultra-grey or anaerobic sealant.  Install new crank and cam seals

Make sure you know the proper marks for aligning the crank & cams ("Never the arrows!!!")  Oh, and when you put the harmonic balancer pulley back on, use the German method:  "Gutentight!"

Good luck.  Ask questions if you need to . . . and have fun! 

You are lucky that you have a 96 2.2 engine which is non interference.  With a 97, you would have a junk motor.  Do you know how old the water pump was, and if so, the mgf.   We don't hear about very many water pump failures.  You should also use the subaru OEM thermostat.

The water pump looks to be originial. It is Subaru and I have only owned this car for a year. It had 75,000mi on it then and now has 90,000. When I pulled the belt covers off I knew that the pump had frooze due to the tempering colors on the pulley only where the belt was rubbing. Now that the pump is off it looks great inside, nothing looks broke, no corrosion, but she is frooze tight.

upnorthguy thans for the reads.

Thank everyone Brian

The water pump looks to be originial. It is Subaru and I have only owned this car for a year. It had 75,000mi on it then and now has 90,000. When I pulled the belt covers off I knew that the pump had frooze due to the tempering colors on the pulley only where the belt was rubbing. Now that the pump is off it looks great inside, nothing looks broke, no corrosion, but she is frooze tight.

upnorthguy thans for the reads.

Thank everyone Brian

I bet the bearing on the water pump froze up, however, you prolly deduced the same thought.