Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BoB Operation Bug out Brat

subaruguru

So.  Where are you going to bug out to?  Cascade, Idaho?  How far away from population is a place called Cascade, Idaho?

This thread kinda seems like a moot point.   :)

Well... Cascade has probably 1500 people... Bout an hour and a half rom boise... Not sure if thats what you wanted to know...

well i guess i kinda ran into this one half cocked and let my mind wander. The basic idea is to be able to jump in with a couple personal ruck sacks and a "Battle Box" with enough to survive away from chaos in the middle of nowhere with the rig for up to 10 days  and enough to survive 3 days on foot in the rucks. 

There is more to the plan than just the rig its more of a visual for survival practice and prepping for emergency situations. We have places that we hike and started talking about survival practice leading to choosing out locations to evacuate to if large scale emergency, Riots, Bombs, Zombies but in all its turning into a fun hobby and outdoor activity that might save a life or my own some day. 

Pictures to come soon of the FWD EJ 5 speed i pulled apart for the bell housing. The neat part is it came from my old sedan and it made a loud noise one day and stopped "going" nothing in any gear HMM. Well its open and there are some fun pictures tune in soon! @ SAME USMB TIME SAME USMB THREAD~~~!

Cheers Rob.

I know like ??? stock 2.2 legacy sedan cam home frome a weekend away it was super cold i pulled out onto the road and about half way through 2nd gear it literally sounded like a grenade went off and it would free rev in all gears. 

Cheers R.

• Like 1

Just HOW did you do that?

Somebody tightened the diff retainer cups down in an attempt to get rid of axle/stub/spine wiggle........heard alot of confusion and storys of people adjusting that to try to solve.

Or unknowing mechanic messing with retainer to try to change out axle....seen that too.

Could be, trans came from a wagon with a shady past before it went to my car. Anyways I have been adjusting to my new work schedule graveyard rotating 12hr shift. 

I have found some time between work and sleep to get the EJ case halves put together with the EA gear sets its sealed and torqued now im waiting to do the EA tail shaft till my day off then put it in and mock the other goodies up. 

Cheers R.

Make sure to adjust the retainer cups so that there is just a tiny bit (.010" or .25mm) backlash.

Easiest way is to set it on it's side, put a finger in the drain hole and feel the ring gear while rocking it back and forth adjust til you get just a tiny bit of backlash.

There is a depth adjustment for the pinion too......but that has to be made with shims before the case goes toghether.......I ussually keep whatever shims were on the pinnion that I am using.......generally it's not an issue if you set the backlash correct.    Don't go with no shims or add a bunch......ussually just the one or 2 that are on the pinion will be very close to correct for a given set......even in a new case.

• Like 1