Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Loud ringing from driveshaft/transmission

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Ok guys, ea82, 5 spd manual d/r. I have searched the forum high and low and can't seem to find an answer. I have a loud ringing noise coming from the driveshaft/transmission when the rpms go above 2000. I am 100% positive that the noise is coming from the driveshaft right under the shifter. I just had it up on a hoist and used an acoustics tube to find the exact spot. We had already removed the heat shields so I know they aren't the culprit. The cat is good too. It sounds like somebody is going mad on a musical triangle when it is under load and when I hard rev it at idle. Oh and if I grab the drive shaft(without 4wd engaged of course) the sound goes away. It's like it is resonating or something. Any ideas?

Edited by Haight, 12 April 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#2 l75eya

l75eya

Almost has it all figured out

• Members
  • 1,725 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

It's crazy how the world works; or our cars are on a specific schedule to do things at certain times. My 5 speed d/r just started doing the EXACT same thing. Just like how you describe. I haven't investigated it further. What I can say is that I recently put a new axle in the rear after going a year missing one. For this reason I thought it was maybe the spider gears in the rear diff being worn from so many miles with only one axle on the back wheels, but that's just speculation. I have no idea what it is. My car is in rough shape right now.

Does yours continue to emit the noise even after placing it in neutral and rolling?

#3 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

How are all of the bearings in the u-joints?

#4 TallonX

TallonX

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Rochester, Wa

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Exhaust is grinding against the rear drive line

Edited by TallonX, 12 April 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#5 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

No it doesn't do it in neutral.
No idea on the u joints.
And no, the exhaust has nothing to do with it.just completely redid the whole exhaust today. Problem is still there.

#6 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Check for sloppiness in the u-joints, especially if you are still running your original driveline. The bearings on the factory installed drive shaft are staked in, if 

the u-joints have ever been replaced odds are there will be cir-clips visible that lock the bearing caps in.

#7 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I'll take a look.

#8 l75eya

l75eya

Almost has it all figured out

• Members
  • 1,725 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

How do I check? (The driveshaft)

#9 TallonX

TallonX

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Rochester, Wa

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

Mine was making a similar (riiiiing piting piting) noise ended up being the exhaust hanger before the rear wheels, just my experience.

#10 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

How do I check? (The driveshaft)

grab near a joint, one hand on the shaft each side of where the u-joints are, and try moving the joint around. If you get side to side play bearings are probably shot, but keep in mind a small amount of up-down (in relation to the direction the needle bearing sit in the caps) is normal.

Also, check the support bearing at the middle of the drive shaft. If it's bad or the rubber surround is rotted, it could cause some noises.

This article is pretty straight forward on drive shaft checks:

http://www.howacarwo...-check-u-joints

Edited by SmashedGlass, 13 April 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#11 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

cue Twilight Zone theme music ...

Only just twigged the other day what the ring ting, ting noise is in my EA82 5MT. It is different to really dry and embedded roller needles in an EA81 one piece tail shaft, but that is what its gotta be in mine. had it for ages and thought it was something in the box itself - shifter rails tinkling against each other - then it dawned on me - the short front half of the two piece would have a different tone due to its shortness.

Thought it could be a little end bush but noise is there at road speed and does not correspond to engine revs.

Not a job I wanna do - staked uni's :(

#12 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

I took mine to a drive shaft shop, with new joints that I purchased. They charged me something like $40 to press out the staked in factory joints, install the new with the circlips, lube, and even balanced it. Well worth it if you don't have access to a press.

#13 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

! Here, they'd add a zero for that kind of job !!

#14 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

Ok so no play in the u joints....

#15 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

dry looking rusty red browny apearance about the unijoints ? I have found EA81 unijoints not actually have any play - so no vibration, no shake in the rear view mirror but the needle rollers in the uni joints were so dry that they wore themselve ridges into the inner 'pin' of the uni joint.

#16 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Mine is an ea82. But mine do have that appearance.

#17 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Are you sure that under load the drives haft isn't hitting the exhaust at all? The drive shafts and exhaust move around a bit and can flex so just because it isn't touching just sitting there it could be when you drive it.

#18 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm positive. I had the car on a hoist and was under it when a friend revved the car. The exhaust doesn't touch. I'm positive that the sound is coming from inside the driveshaft. When I grab it with both hands the sound goes away. It is like the sound is resonating throughout the metal.

#19 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Does the sound go away with clutch engagement/disengagement? I had a T5 do the same thing when the rear mainshaft bearing was failing. Would go away when the mainshaft stopped spinning (clutch disengaged/pedal in).

Also check for trans-mount play. It could just be resonating the engine/drivetrain vibrations at certain RPMs due to tired mounts.. or there could actually be something inside the driveshaft!

#20 wagonist

wagonist

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

I'm positive. I had the car on a hoist and was under it when a friend revved the car. The exhaust doesn't touch. I'm positive that the sound is coming from inside the driveshaft. When I grab it with both hands the sound goes away. It is like the sound is resonating throughout the metal.

That's not enough to tell as the car isn't under load.

The suspension moves & the engine will twist more when it loaded up.

Is the hoist the type that picks up under the body, or you've driven on it & it lifts by the tyres?

Get the car back on the hoist, grab various parts of the exhaust (while cold & with the engine off), and shake it as violently as you can, it shouldn't hit anything.

#21 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

The car drives onto the hoist. Once again, the exhaust has nothing to do with it. Positive. I just rebuilt the whole exhaust system from the headers-back. Yes the sound does go away with clutch engagement or when I let off of the gas. I will check the trans mounts.

#22 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like the pilot bearing is shot.

Same symptoms that my brother was having on his Chevy ZR2.   No mechanic in Seattle area could diagnose the problem correctly.  They all said the transmission was going out.

#23 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Update. The sound goes away when I engage 4wd.

#24 TallonX

TallonX

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Rochester, Wa

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Update. The sound goes away when I engage 4wd.

Mine did the same... That's how I figured it was the exhaust, enaginging 4wd balances the torque flex of the drive train

All of your mounts good? Motor mounts, trans mount, that dog bone anti-pitch thing...

Edited by TallonX, 16 April 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#25 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

I was gonna say, diagnosing a subaru shot uni is different from most other makes due to the PT FWD where the tail shaft to drive rear wheels is just along for the ride most of the time so is not transfering power, so no load to cause vibes etc, and things may change by engaging rears into play.

Oh, and in my EA82 Y pipe it has that double walled piping/tubing...something has deteriorated internally and makes a bloody awful rackt on acceleration sometimes, other times quiet as. Embarassing but free $ :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users