Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Milky leaking oil, leaking trany seals, losing antifreeze...need a pep talk.

My son and I fixed up a 1979 Brat EA71, four speed dual range.  Looks great inside and out...however it is a leaking fool.  We know this BRAT sat for at least 7 years before we bought it.  Who knows how long it say before that.  We fixed her up, changed all the fluids and hit the road.  Now the trans is leaking and the rear main is leaking.  I noticed last week the oil was milky and foamy (head gasket maybe).  I told my wife this was a father son project for him to learn some stuff, which he has.  I'm fairy handy and would also have some resources if needed.

Someone tell me we can pull the motor, replace the seals and head gaskets.  Thought we should replace seals in the transmission while we at it.  Might as well put a new clutch in also since we're there.

The leaking oil is coming out right in the back of the oil pan, but I'm pretty sure it is not the oil pan.  It also leaks much faster when the truck in running, like the crankcase is building up pressure and forcing the oil out the rear seal. Could this be a sign of a blown head gasket?  I have replaced the PVC valve.  We put a weber on it with the valve cover hoses coming together in a T and then going to the intake and air cleaner.  Those hoses all appear milky and foamy also.

Here is another clue.  I can see no antifreeze leaking or on the garage floor, however it is going somewhere and even after the truck sits for several days, when I open the radiator it sucks air in, like the radiator has negative pressure.  

I'm looking for someone to say "GO FOR IT, buy these parts and get after it."  Any advise on gasket kits, seals or clutch?

I've got a Chilton book and a How to keep your Subaru alive book.

Thanks, 

Shawn

When you say "fixed her up" did you replace any seals or gaskets in the engine?

Rubber bits don't last forever. If you haven't already taken the engine out, torn it down and replaced seals and such then it is probably time. An engine that sits for years doesn't get lubrication on the seals and they dry up and become brittle and they leak. The boxer engines tend to have more sealing surfaces than other types of engines. Some of those seals are probably the originals and unless you know for certain they have been replaced, I would assume they are original in need of replacement. In fact any rubber hoses and such should be on the schedule for replacement as there is no miracle rubber and all those hoses will give you fits with vacuum leaks and such. The small hoses are relatively cheap.

Grab your son and "GO FOR IT, buy these parts and get after it."  Not only is this a great learning experience for your son, it is also a great bonding experience for you both. Plus you got the best group of Subaru enthusiasts right here to help you out. Go ahead and start yourself a build thread so we can follow along (lots of picture documenting the journey). Good luck.

Sounds good, we better get after it.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the best gasket set, head gaskets and clutch kit?

How about the heads, what do you guys recommend when we pull them?  Is a trip to the machine shop in my future?

OK, the motor is out.  Wasn't too bad, except that driver's side lower nut...Pain in the a**.  Total redneck motor pull.  We used a pulley system for hanging deer.  I knew the motor weighed less than our big Iowa bucks, worked great.  Lifted the motor up and rolled the truck out of the way.  Now that the motor is out, it is time to clean things up and replace everything I can.  

transmission seals, both axles, front input seal, rear output shaft seal.  Thinking of taking the transmission out to clean it up, can this be done without a lift?

Motor, rear seal, head gaskets, clutch kit, valve covers, oil pan and anything else we can think of.

Any advise?