Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Royal Loyale

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

I have always liked Wagons. I picked up this 1992 Loyale in June of 2013.

Attached File  0001 Before.jpg   62.99K   56 downloads Attached File  0002 Before.jpg   64.29K   75 downloads Attached File  0003 Before.jpg   61K   75 downloads

A 5 lug swap was planned as well as rear disc brake conversion. I also looked into adding a rear sway bar from an XT coupe. Anyway, I know everyone likes to look at pictures and I have a small head-start already.

Attached File  0916130810b.jpg   133.88K   75 downloads Attached File  0916130831b.jpg   75.33K   69 downloads Attached File  0916131137a.jpg   128.18K   59 downloads Attached File  0916131138a.jpg   127.41K   73 downloads Attached File  Rear Suspension 5 Lug.jpg   130.61K   79 downloads

Once the suspension, brakes, and tires are taken care of, I'll most likely finish up with an EJ swap. I have some pieces gathered already.  This is a spare time project with a limited budget so this thread might not get regular updates. It is a nice daily driver at the moment though, with working A/C :)

Many of you have inspired this build. Nico, Rick (The General Himself), Gloyale, Bratsrus1(Jerry), Tex, Turbone, TheLoyale, Jezek, Monstaru, Bratman18 and EVERY other one of you!!! Thanks...

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Crazyeights, 13 April 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#2 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

After reading everything I could find about the 5 lug conversion process (most of it all from here) I started gathering parts. I ended up doing the brake upgrade at the same time. I wanted a spare front cross-member to modify for XT6 front lower control arms. I figured I might as well start with a Turbo cross-member to keep my engine upgrade options open down the road (remember the talk about the EJ swap) :grin:

Attached File  T-Crossmember dirty.jpg   182.84K   45 downloads Attached File  T-Crossmember cleaned front view.jpg   228.07K   61 downloads Attached File  T-Crossmember cleaned rear view.jpg   235.86K   65 downloads

Two cuts had to be made on each side in the pocket area to provide enough clearance so that the XT6 LCA's won't rub. The metal was peeled up slightly (about 1/4 inch) and re-welded. I liked this option better than tacking on washers, although that would have worked too.

Attached File  0918131258a.jpg   133.79K   66 downloads Attached File  0918131258b.jpg   138.06K   68 downloads Attached File  0918131259a.jpg   134.22K   59 downloads Attached File  0918131259b.jpg   130.5K   57 downloads Attached File  0918131259c.jpg   139.92K   67 downloads

It works and looks pretty good too.

Attached File  XT6 LCA Installed first side.jpg   131.99K   70 downloadsAttached File  XT6 LCA Installed second side.jpg   129.72K   66 downloads Attached File  T-Crossmember installed left side.jpg   114.63K   59 downloads Attached File  T-Crossmember installed right side.jpg   162.29K   64 downloads Attached File  T-Crossmember installed finished.jpg   145.74K   51 downloads

More to follow...

Edited by Crazyeights, 13 April 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#3 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,641 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'm following this one! Nice progress so far. What are those 4 bolts for right in front of the fuel tank?

#4 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

I'm following this one! Nice progress so far. What are those 4 bolts for right in front of the fuel tank?

I think it might have been from an old trailer hitch. That makes me smile too. First gear up the pass in the snow at five grand doing 14 mph pulling a trailer. Yeah, we have all worn that hat at least once :ph34r: 90 HP on it's best day and lucky if the head gaskets last past the first timing belt interval.

Oh well just stay runnin' for a few more months... The radiator was plugged solid when I bought the car. I didn't really realize it and TBH I didn't care either. Until it blew the entire end tank off of the passenger side on my lunch break :clap: WHAT A MESS! Now it has a shiny new brass one a few months early. The old EA82 chugs on at almost 30 mpg....

Edited by Crazyeights, 14 April 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#5 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

Time for a quick update. The 5 lug swap is complete. The modified EA82T ("Turbo") front engine cross-member with XT6 front lower control arms is installed. The brake system upgrades/modifications are finished for now too. I put in new lower ball joints as well. I cleaned up some Legacy 14" steel rims so that I could retain the same tires short term. They are 185/70-R14's. I have several thousand miles on this configuration now and it feels great.

Attached File  5 Lug Swap finished left side.jpg   201.15K   22 downloads Attached File  5 Lug Swap finished left side -2.jpg   175.89K   22 downloads Attached File  5 Lug Swap finished right side.jpg   196.86K   22 downloads

A quick look at the interior;

Attached File  Left side interior.jpg   117.43K   27 downloads Attached File  Left side interior - 2.jpg   91.87K   26 downloads Attached File  Right side interior.jpg   118.47K   22 downloads

So far so good! Details to follow soon with some more pictures.

#6 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Here is a picture of the donor car that the front suspension parts came from.

Attached File  Strut and Knuckle donor.jpg   34.94K   8 downloads

The front brakes consist of Loyale calipers on EJ knuckles, rotors, pads, and caliper brackets.  It works by using one of the Loyale caliper pins on the EJ bracket. A big "Thank You" to the member that figured this out first in another post. I like this for now because you can retain the front E-Brake. I ended up using EA81 outer tie rod ends so that the toe could be adjusted properly.

Attached File  LF EJ Brake swap.jpg   100.85K   10 downloads Attached File  LF EJ Brake swap - 2.jpg   115.66K   11 downloads Attached File  RF EJ Brake swap.jpg   107.69K   11 downloads

Edited by Crazyeights, 10 June 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#7 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • PNW

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

The front axles presented there own set of challenges. I also wanted both EA and EJ inner DOJ cups available for a future trans upgrade. The short answer is that most EJ axles that I have found are just a little long to fit the Loyale body with the EJ front end parts installed. Remember, (photos above), that I also did NOT re-locate the position of the lower control arm mounting bolt holes in the EA82T front cross-member. I think this actually added to the axle length problem. I ended up inverting the inner DOJ bearings to gain just enough room to make it work. I know it's an ugly hack. I did save some 25 spline inner cups though for the upcoming EJ trans swap however.

Attached File  DOJ Inverted.jpg   28.02K   8 downloads Attached File  DOJ Inverted - 2.jpg   27.15K   10 downloads Attached File  EJ - EA Front Axle.jpg   135.65K   7 downloads

Any thoughts of a better solution for the front axles or will this work long term? For now I am just going to keep rolling it. More to come soon ...

Edited by Crazyeights, 10 June 2014 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users