Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to purchase aftermarket headlight harness?

Does anyone make any aftermarket headlight harness that will allow me to run higher watt light bulbs for Subarus? I know place like Painlesswiring prolly has a generic harness for the type of bulbs. However, I'm looking for a Subaru Legacy harness. I can make one up if I had to but prefer to purchase a custom made harness.

Thanks.

Ali

'95 Legacy Wagon

Not too sure exactly what you need, but if you are running H-4 type lamps and want to

really amp them up, the ARB (aus) harness is really very nice. Not just a harness, has

good quality relays that take the current straight from the battery, and just use

your old headlight connectors to power the switch side of the relays.

In the states, my buddy James and 4x4connection.com sells them. His phone number is

on the website http://www.4x4connection.com. Yes that is a blantant plug. It's a good shop

and they are nice folks.

I would recommend Competition Limited. They carry a complete line of headlamp harnesses and selection of bulbs for them. I don't have a website, but ask for Gene Henderson; he's been in this business a long time and knows his products well. I took a look on the website and couldn't find the non-HID headlight harnesses and I called and asked and he said he still carries them. He needs to know make, year, and model of car as well as bulb type. Give him a call if you can't find the info either.

Competition Limited

2243 Sosna Drive, Pinckney MI 48169

(734) 878-5553

www.hioutputbulbs.com

edrach beat me to it.

I was going to say Competition Limited as well.

I bought a harness there a few years ago. Decent quality. I sold it off to another member eventually because it didn't work properly with my Canadian car which has DRL's.

Don't bother with the "no name" bulbs though. (Krypton something... ) I couldn't get more than a few weeks out of them.

If you want bulbs, I'd highly suggest Eaglite bulbs. You can get those from www.midnightmoose.com Good pricing and they last a long time.

Commuter

Don't bother with the "no name" bulbs though. (Krypton something... ) I couldn't get more than a few weeks out of them.

I bought a half dozen of the "no-name" bulbs from Gene two years ago (I like to have spares) and still have four left as well as the two originals I installed then. I would suspect an alternator with too high an output voltage or maybe a flakey ground or just plain bad luck if your bulbs only lasted a few weeks. If I remember correctly, Gene offered a warranty on burned out bulbs but I've forgotten how long it's for since I never had to use it.

I bought a half dozen of the "no-name" bulbs from Gene two years ago (I like to have spares) and still have four left as well as the two originals I installed then. I would suspect an alternator with too high an output voltage or maybe a flakey ground or just plain bad luck if your bulbs only lasted a few weeks. If I remember correctly, Gene offered a warranty on burned out bulbs but I've forgotten how long it's for since I never had to use it.

He replaced a few of them. Out of 6 or 8 bulbs (don't recall exactly), I got from 3 to 7 weeks maximum. I then put in some Hellas he sent me. Around 3 months. Once I started using the Eaglites, I've had from 9 months to over a year. My lights are always on (DRL's) and I drive about 3 or 4 times as much as the average person.

I'm glad if you've have luck with them. I certainly didn't. One exploded and messed up the inside of the headlight (like a chalk dust almost... ). Another had a big bulge on the glass. And no, I don't touch the glass. I've even gone further now and wipe the bulb with alcohol as recommmended to me by the midnight moose. *shrug*

YMMV

Commuter