Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid parts car!

Well, got the 85 motor into the 86, and got it running finally. Runs perty darn good in fact :-) So I shut it down (I only ran it for maybe 10 seconds) and decided to put the radiator in and get some water in it so I can fine-tune everything and get the exhaust hooked up and whatnot... So I start adding water, and then I hear water dripping out form underneath.. Look underneath, water is dripping off both motor mounts.. Great do I have a cracked block? So I add some more coolant and look at the top of the motor and I see coolant, so I trace it back to a blown freeze plug on the back of the water passage on top of the motor. Great, that is going to be a pain to fix.. I find the freeze plug hiding on top of the motor, fished it out and put it in my tool box so I can get another one later..

So the motor will have to wait for another day, so I thought I would get the rear disks swapped (The guy wanted the brakes, so I swapped him for the discs on the back of the 86) Pop off the wheel on one side, and I notice that the disk is a lot thinner than it should be.. Great.. Upon closer inspection, the outside pas was missing, along with a good 16th of an inch of rotor.. Pulled everything off and the caliper was good, as was the bracket. Go around to the other side, same deal.. Outside pad missing, inside pad down to the metal backing plate, caliper and bracket still good...

So Jessica is going to be emailing Mark and informing him of this :-) General consensus between Jessica and I is that he should at least send me either a new set of rotors, or my old ones, since I gave him a good set for a trashed set, sound about right to you guys? The freeze plug doesn't really bother me, unless this thing winds up haveing a cracked head...