Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shocks/struts worth replacing?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting new shocks/struts.  (I guess they are the same thing/integrated).

I'll probably drive what I have for another 85,000 miles...how long do those things usually last?

Around here the roads are pretty rough so the suspensions around here take a serious beating and I'm wondering if it's pointless cuz they could be shot much sooner rather than later.... :-(

KYB's are the way to go.  

You didn't say what model but I've gotten some great deals over at NASIOC, as those fellows like to pull their stock struts for the aftermarket.  I've also had good luck watching the yards, and pulling almost new KYB struts.  Complete strut $30, $120 for the set.

mileage varies wildly - 60,000 - 150,000 depending on road conditions, driver perceptibility, etc.

they can degrade substantially without failing/leaking.

how do the struts seem now? 

how does the car bounce?  when you hit bumps/holes while going over slight turns can you feel the car kind of "shift sideways"?  any noises?  leakage at the strut cylinder? 

if there's any symptoms then replacement would be a normal consideration.

if no symptoms and they ride great then maybe you hope they last the life of the vehicle? that wouldn't be the normal approach but you'll definitely get symptoms if something starts to degrade substantially or fail, so you'll have a warning of some sort.

if you think you'll be replacing them before you get rid of the car, then doing it sooner rather than later gives you more return on the new parts.

new struts will prolong tire life and protect top mounts and springs, end links, etc, which take more of a beating if the struts are weak.  i've seen all of those components fail on 2000+ Subarus with old/weak/high mileage struts.

• Like 1

if no leaks then have to go on performance if you're strictly looking for symptoms.  for newer EJ stuff i don't think i've seen a leaking strut yet, but they were dead and had no dampening at all.  i'm not sure what degrades or happens to struts as they age if there's no signs of leaks?

there's no immediate need, it'll just put more stress on other components - tires, springs, mounts, etc.

Does it handle poorly? Like, to the point where it makes you think they need to be replaced? Or can you tell if one has unrestrained bounce to it on rough stuff? If yes, then yeah id replace them.

My Bajas right front and right rear both started leaking a bit. Not real bad, just a little seep...but the right rear went downhill fast and i had to replace both rears (i do things like that in pairs)

The fronts still feel fine, even with the seep on the right front.

When I replaced the rear struts in my sons 97 subaru with 200K miles, one of them came apart in my hands.  Yet my son never complained about the car bouncing!  Admittedly, I could easily tell by bouncing the rear end with my weight that they were bad, and I should of checked/replaced  them earlier.  Apparently, they were the originals.

strut manufacturers say every 50,000 miles - but they are in the business of making money...

if the car is bouncy going over bumps, then yeah, you should probably think about replacing them. worn out struts dont keep the tire in constant contact with the road surface like they are supposed to do, making it easier for you to lose control of the vehicle.

a quick testing method - give each corner of the car a good shove downward - put your weight into it - it should come up, go down a little, then center & stop - if it bounces more than that, they are worn out.

oh, and check your springs out as well, make sure none are broken.

Edited by heartless

My 99 OBW has 213K on the ODO. I am the third owner, but am certain that all 4 struts are the originals. I don't detect any bouncy problems, so I just drive on.

No use in creating work, if what you got is not defective. I would just drive on with the shocks that you have on the car now.

Yeah...then I guess they are fine.  I gave it that check.....it does seem to dampen the oscillation with little bounce.

If a spring were broken I'm sure I'd notice it right away,

Not necessarily - depends on where it breaks at...if it breaks close to the seat, you may not notice it until doing a good visual inspection. My 95 had a broken spring when I got it and I had no idea till the wheels came off for strut replacement - the struts were completely shot as well...

replacing the struts isnt that hard to do - altho when doing the rears it is nice to have a second pair of hands around to put the upper mount nuts on, and the fronts do affect alignment - but marking the cam bolt so you can get it back in the same position gets you pretty darn close. 

Well work like that is pretty much off-limits for the likes of me.  Around here repair guys are all 'in business' and expect to make money.

Awful weather is non-existent here but debtor prison is not.

I drive my Sube pretty gingerly anyway.

Cheers!

--Damien