Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3speed auto to 5speed D/R Conversion

Hello All,

I am a new member who just bought my first Subaru. Had no no clue these things were so awsome. After purchasing an 86' GL10 Wagon, 3speed auto, I searched the web for info on building an all terrain commuter and found what I really need is a 5speed D/R. Also am studying your site as it's full of amazing information. Now have basic knowledge on doing the "Swap".

Last weekend I had the amazing luck to purchase 3 GL10 wagon parts cars and more amazingly they're all 5speed D/R. I am starting the conversion this weekend but could really use your vast knowledge. Out of the following parts cars, which tranny/driveshaft/rear diff combo would be most compatable for the swap or are they all compatable?

1. 85 GL10 5sp D/R

2. 86 GL10 5sp D/R TBI (no motor)

3. 87 GL10 5sp D/R Turbo (no motor

Thanks

Corbin

I recall that the 86/87 5 speeds were the best - I think because of gearing changes, so you want one of those. Now - you can't use the turbo one without a lot more work because it has 25 spline front axle's.... thus you should use the 86 transmission. Choose whichever drive-line looks to be in the best shape from the ones availible. Same with the rear diff.

Damn - wish you were a little closer. I would help you with the swap in exchange for that 85 D/R.... ah well.

GD

the fact that you have 3 cars ranging from carb to turbo, and you have both turbo and non turbo trannies. you can pretty much do any combo. just swap the axles original to the turbo tranny if you use it. i suggest the non turbo tranny for off road.