Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 225/60R17 tires fit my 2007 Outback?

Standard tire size for the 2007 Outback is 225/55R17.  My car needs new tires and someone local is selling the new tires off his 2014 Forester that measure 225/60R17.  Does anyone know if these tires would be compatible before I pay for them?  Thank you so much for helping me out. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would bet the farm that the 225 X 60 X 17 will fit. Going from a 55 to 60 series tire is minimal difference. Speedo may be off by only 1 or 2 mph at most, that is no big deal. I have had a bunch of cars that I always went one size larger, and never had any trouble with the tires rubbing suspension or body work. Currently on my 99 OBW, I am running 215 X 70 15" tires. They replaced 205 X 70 X 15" size tire that were OEM to the car. The important thing is that all four tires need to be the same size on an all wheel drive Subie. For sure, you will not have any trouble getting the tires to fit your stock wheels, as both size tires are 17" going on 17" wheels..

Some tire stores get obstinate about installing a tire size that is different from OEM. If that happens, go to Wal-Mart, they will install, and balance the tires without hesitation.

Although not the same car or tire size, as an example on the speedometer being off a little. My 95 Impreza came stock with 195/60/15. I didn't want to keep swapping snow tires with the summer tires all the time, so I set out to find another set of 15" steelies to mount the summer tires on. I found a guy who had a set of 205/60/15 mounted on a set of steelies for $40. Needless to say I jumped at the deal. I put the "new" set on and first road trip I took, going by GPS, my speedometer was off by approximately 3mph to the real speed...I was going faster than my speedometer read.