Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing A/C compressor clutch - 98 Forester

cake.

are you positive it's the A/C compressor?  they rarely fail but of course at that age/mileage anything is possible.

it's usually the orings at the a/c compressor that leak refrigerant. 

1.  replace compressor with a used one, ask in the classified section here or:

www.car-part.com

2.  replace two orings on compressor, just match them up at any auto parts stores (cheap)

3.  replace schrader valves in high and low port (cheap) - standard, again match them up an an auto parts store

4.  add two cans of refrigerant  - 21-24 ounces I think the system takes - no need to vacuum system.

A/C will likely last the life of the car.  Other than the hoses that bolt to the compressor there's no other parts that fail commonly.

Subaru A/C systems are very robust and don't require much maintenance/repair if they're approached properly.

The pressure is fine and when the clutch tries to engage it acts like it is siezed and makes a loud moaning sound and doesn't put out cold air. Cycling the A/C switch will bring on cold A/C until it siezes (or is restricted from turning). Prior to adding refrigerant the A/C would repeatedly cycle on and off, which I think brought on the clutch failure.

copy - you're sure pressures are good?  if they're too low or too high the compressor will shut down.

one or two of the lower bolts are really annoying to get to and i think the way it works is you can loosen them but don't have to remove them entirely for the compressor to come out.  take a look at it closely it's foggy but i think you can unbolt a lower mount and have that come out with the compressor or something.

i never bother installing one of the lower bolts when reinstalling, it's complete overkill to have all those huge bolts on such a low key part. the engine is bolted in place with 2 nuts and one bolt - 3 fasteners.  and the A/C compressor gets 4 14mm hold downs, that's hysterical.

Edited by grossgary

The noise is coming from the receiver dryer. What parts are in there to make noise?

probably fluid resonating, vibrating, or otherwise flowing through/around some passage. 

they don't make noises unless it's some weird ball outlier, they're just a metal tube going through a can with desiccant inside. 

Subaru A/C systems are extremely robust - failure of any component is almost unheard of, though compressors and clutches can fail, but it's pretty rare and it seems you've ruled those out.

so far all symptoms point to having too much refrigerant in the system.  have you checked the pressure - what was it?