Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I remember one of you guys/gals mentioning the early models or SVX? had a power mode, and on the Legacy you can ground a pin on the trans module to put the car into a "power" shift mode or whatever it's called. I'd like to go out and try this, but can't remember what the name of the module is and have no idea what it looks like. Would somebody be willing to give me a refresher or a link to a correct DIY? THANK YOU  :)

Hmm, that's different than what I 'm doing. I did the ground pin 4 from the TCU(?) or whatever it's called. To be honest, I can't really notice a difference between on or off. At first, it seemed as though throttle response was tad better but I hadn't driven the car in a few days so no initial back to back. After switching off/on a bunch of times, I don't really notice different shift points or anything else. The wire is definitely grounded as I've double-checked with an ohm/voltmeter, and I ran bare wire through the plug #4 hole then reconnected the plug so it should still be touching the connector. I've also double-checked the switch and it's working correctly too.

Does the "power" mode only work when manually shifting the auto? Or will it work in "D"? Somebody else that's done this, can you tell me exactly what changed? Shift points, holding a gear, etc.? 1, 2, 3, all work, so it's not locking anything out.

So . . . what did you find?

In earlier 90's 4EAT cars, some came with a power mode that was manually switched on. It would in effect either run more line pressure or more aggressive shift points, etc. Other cars had these but most never took off or were discontinued. Ford had them briefly in the Probe. In the Crown Vic (or AOD trans) you could pull the pan, adjust a screw, and it'd let you smoke the tires with ease- something old guys barely looking over the steering wheel wouldn't want, but people looking for a little pep, it's there. I'm assuming this should be similar, but I'll have to wait for response (hopefully somebody who has the real switch option) to see exactly what changes, else I'll run and get a crimp connector from a bone yard model and try again in case the wire backed out.

Edited by Bushwick

Power mode can also be activated by a quick stab on the throttle. You should see the power light come on the dash. If you don't have the light, your TCU probably doesn't have it either. When activated it will then will use a different set of shift points holding onto gears longer and is more likely to unlock the torque converter. It doesn't have different line pressure or firmer shifts.