Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 gl auto to dual range conversion help

Gwywnc

• 2 weeks later...

so you want to do a auto to manual conversion - thats not all that simple - you need to transplant clutch pedals and associated plumbing as well as replace the auto box with the manual and put in a clutch assembly ? I don't know that that is a great first project.

If you want to insert dual range gears from a manual box into an auto - well thats just not possible, sorry

IT can be done. Everything is dimensionally similar, so as long as you have all the donor parts, they are more or less bolt- in

you will need along withthe trans to convert: (assumng at ot mt) the trans crossmember and all bolts, the driveshaft, the rear differential (to match trans gear 3.9), flywheel and bolts, clutch assembly, mt starter, and pedal set with cable.

The rest is legos.

I swapped a 5spd dual range into an ea81 as my first project which was the first engine pull, trans swp, clutch jpb, 4wd car, or turbo car, and built a lift at the same time with no prior experience. Good car to learn on. You have this forum and the internet as resources.

One small detail that is easy to overlook is the radius arm mounting plates. The auto trans plates on your car don't have the attachment point for the manual trans cross-member. You'll need to grab a set of these from the donor car too.

post-25394-0-22652100-1398698450_thumb.jpg

The swap is well worth it IMO.

I changed the motor and trans from on brat to another one time in one night by myself. I'm hoping that will help me with this project... What I don't understand is how to get petals were they need to be, are there wholes for it to be mounted? I'm thinking everything else should go smooth... He donor car was said to have been to rusted to drive and parked. Is there a way to tell if the trans is good n it? The car does not run.... What can I look for to help me know this car wasn't parked because the trans went out? Thanks Richie

I changed the motor and trans from on brat to another one time in one night by myself. I'm hoping that will help me with this project... What I don't understand is how to get petals were they need to be, are there wholes for it to be mounted? I'm thinking everything else should go smooth... He donor car was said to have been to rusted to drive and parked. Is there a way to tell if the trans is good n it? The car does not run.... What can I look for to help me know this car wasn't parked because the trans went out? Thanks Richie

if you changed a motor and trans you have all the skill you need to do this. This swap was the first major subaru project I ever did, and overall it was easy. The pedal clusters swap out as a unit, they mount the same, so the holes are all there. That part I remember was a bit of a PITA as it was awkward working down there.

The reason the car was parked was rust. Well look at it, is it really rusty? too rusty to drive for me meant holes in the wheel wells and my car would take on water. I've also seen them dangerously rusted out at the top of the strut mounts. These manual trtansmissions are pretty tough, I would use it if it had less than 250k. I did kill one at 290k . check that it's got gear oil in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question... The parts car I was getting was sold before I could get it. I have talked to a could people that think the problem is the differential. Can the gears in it be replaced? I was wince told that subaru could place any part for older subarus. Also I was looking on eBay for a trans and the models go from 1981-83 then 1985-89 the problem is that mines a 1984! Also can a fwd trans be put n as a direct replacemt for the automatic 4wd? Thanks