Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's the fuel pump relay (fuse?) on my 99 Legacy Outback?

I am attempting a compression test on my 99 Legacy Outback. Only thing I need to figure out before getting started is: Where is the fuse or relay to disconnect my fuel pump? Unfortunately I don't have the Haynes manual for my vehicle. I've searched these forums and online, and been digging around my vehicle, and can't seem to find it. Hoping someone here knows.

It isn't in the fuse box behind the battery, nor in the driver's side interior fuse box beneath the dash. No mention of it in the user's manual. I asked a clerk at Advance Auto who owns and works on a 2000 Subaru sedan, and she wasn't able to find it either. On hers, it was in the fuse box behind battery.

Sorry for the newbie question; hopefully someone can help! Thanks.

99 it's WAAAY up inside the dash.  upper left hand with the IG. relay.  PITA to reach unless you have snakes for arms.

You can do your compression test with a handheld starter button jumpered between the battery and the starter solenoid.  Leave the key off=no fuel or spark.

Makes the whole thing easier since you can stand right there and hold the gauge.

Remove all the spark plugs....and hold the throttle open while cranking for the testing for best results.

Easier to just unplug the injectors. Fuel pump relay is way up in the corner of the firewall, not easy to get to.

Fuse should be in the dash panel IIRC, but if you have to pull plugs the injectors are right there.

Also unplug the igniter in the center of the firewall, or unplug the coil connector to disable spark.