Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amazing rust on front wheel hubs (axle housing) of 2003 impreza

See pic....picked up a nice 2nd car for my sone...03 impreza 5spd with 44,000 miles...driven by 50+ year old woman

took good care of

But low mileage means a lot of sitting

Body and underside is good

the brake job I am in the middle of is one of the worst ever--particularly the front--rear is not bad

First, the 17mm bolts holding the caliper frame were bad enough that I could not get a wrench/socket on them

VISE GRIP time

And since they may never have been removed...heat was required...man did that suck

the axle housing behind the rotor had so much rust...I chipped of maybe 1/8" thick of material....I'm not kidding

I will degrease/prime/paint and maybe shoot some rust proofing on the area (maybe not the rust proofing)

I was almost wondering to get new housings....but that would probably be steep$$---then bearings--I don't want to do all that

I already have to do all calipers which I did not expect

Anyway....there are sheet metal shields behind the rotors (my finger is pointing to shat is left)
Is it worth replacing or not really matter?

Not sure what they cost new...subbie dealer online?

thanks

post-613-0-45904100-1397666441_thumb.jpg

post-613-0-54614300-1397666452_thumb.jpg

wow. see it all the time, just not on 44,000 mile cars. 

probably:
1. parked over grass will do that - the grass attracts moisture/dew every day and does exactly that, it's what parts cars do when you keep them at your house in the grass.

2.  or it went through some winter stuff and then sat for long periods without ever being used/washed/rinsed/driven through rain.

Edited by grossgary

Looks like you are from New York, so I am thinking that road salt did this damage. Car must have been left in a damp place for a long time, with winter road salt left on the car. WOW, what rust. Looks like metal pulled from bottom of the ocean floor, that has been there for 50 years. Looks the same, except missing barnacles on your rusted mess.

If me, I would replace everything I could with parts from a wrecking yard. What your finger is pointing at, doesn't look like anything to keep. Does NY, where you live have tough state vehicle inspection laws?? If so, will this car pass inspection??

what I am pointing to is the sheet metal water shield.....for the brake protection

Does anyone bother to replace these if shot?

yes I suppose salt damage

anyone know what years would be compatible with 03 RS axle housings?

my inspection guy would not bother looking under car...been going there for years

what I am pointing to is the sheet metal water shield.....for the brake protection

Does anyone bother to replace these if shot?

i wouldn't worry too much about it.  fine idea to replace it, but not a big deal to leave it. you'll have bigger fish to fry like axle boots, bushings, valve covers, fluid changes, and the one or two year past due timing belt. 

i've never had any issues leaving them that way.  theoretically a stone could get lodged in there but that happens even with the shield in place:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/19252-object-caught-front-rotor-dust-cover.html

maybe your car is now "more reliable".  LOL

looks like lots of people ignore them:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/how-important-dust-shields-60524/

they're only $17 new, looks like the part number for yours is

26290FE040

Wow!  I'm glad I live in California. :P   That salt is a killer.

Yeah.  It's criminal really.  Conspiricy to promote new vehichle sales.  Shifts the burden onto every single driver even those who are preopared for those conditions........rather than letting those without proper tires/traction/vehichles deal with their own needs.

Truely criminal.  Destruction of property.

Looks like a normal 03 to me... Dust shields rot off all the time don't worry about it. Make sure you check the front control arms, front perimeter frame, rear brake lines, and rear subframe with it looking like that, those areas are very prone to rust up here. 

I'd just get a set from a nice rust free area along with struts and bolt them in.

Save the hassle.

www.car-part.com

I could pull a complete set shocks, hub, disk Caliper for about $150 each side and then it would be shipping from CO.

www.nasioc.com is also a source of good used parts.

Fellows sell their stock stuff all the time.