Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Rwd v8 Gl

kirzick

Hey guys.

Kicking around the idea of making a sweet v8 gl wagon. Mostly wondering about which motor/trans i would look into?

Ive never really owned any muscle cars so i dont know where to start. Something simple paired with a cable operated trans would be awesome.

Id like to be able to use the gls original rear end. Maybe a welded diff. Im thinking carbed for least amound of wiring.

Id want to use as much of the gl as i could. Less money the better.

I really just want to scare the crap out of fart can hondas with big smokey burnouts in a little old beater.

I was planing to upgrade to stiffer suspention like bumblebeasts writeup.Rear disc swap and some wide 6 lugs.

Thanks guys!

theres been lots of people thrpugh here thatve asked this very question. the answer lies in your abilities and your budget. not knowing where to start should be a big clue as to how unprepared for this task you are.

dont get disccouraged, just research, a ton.

hi,

what he said,  yes,  and the original trans will hold up to "no"  big smokey burnouts with or without fat meats on there,  it will break very quick,  nothing on an ea81 was meant to take anything close to the power of a v8 of any type.    do your research and learn all you can,, read read read. 

Edited by ruparts

I was planning to switch trannys too. I'm friend suggestion was a 70's small block Chevy and matching trans. Does anyone know common gear ratios for those trannys? It like to use the original rear end if possible even if I need a custom drive shift. Thanks all

I used to build V8 Vegas with both small block Chevs and Buick 215's. We used to have trouble ripping the unibody apart at the spot welds in the front end unless it was welded up first. I twisted one body pretty badly before I learned this lesson (broke the windshield too :ph34r:)

What you are proposing most certainly be done but it probably won't be easy or cheap if you want it to turn out.  I would learn how to weld and fabricate as you will basically be building as custom one-off car with an old Sub shell grafted on top. Take lots of pics and have fun! I would scout around in the junk yards and look at other builds for ideas.

Edited by Crazyeights