Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Outback - Bye bye 3 pedals

All 2015 Outback models come standard with the Lineartronic ® CVT (continuously variable transmission), which features paddle - shift control switches and helps
boost fuel economy significantly.

While this might suggest there is no manual transmission - it does not say that a manual isnt an option....only time will tell I guess...

When we were in the process of buying our 13' Outback last june i noticed that every outback they had was an automatic. We ended up with the auto CVT transmission with steering wheel paddle shifters and it does good, its just hard to get used to as it never really shifts. In manual mode it really makes the motor come alive with those paddle shifters! I don't think you can even buy a new pickup now days with a manual, that's the fun of driving i think.

I knew it - too bad.. Thought there wouldn't be a manual offered since that was the case with the upcoming Legacy. I do like the new Outback though. Not that I'm in the market for a new Subaru, I like my 2002 Forester 5MT very much. 

Scooner: "I don't think you can even buy a new pickup now days with a manual, that's the fun of driving i think." ....I think the only full size new 4WD pickup truck with a manual transmission is the Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L Cummins diesel.  

upnothguy - Nice '95 Legacy S. My son has a '95 S Sedan. I'll guess it's got about 178k miles. Great 2.2L engine 

• 3 months later...

I just ordered a 2015 Forester 2.5 Premium with 6 speed manual....6 speed is the standard trans. with CVT optional  in the Premium trim level....Forester models only..

tom

Good choice. The CVT does a good job in the company vehicle that I have, a 2WD Jeep Patriot that averages 28+ mpg this time of year. I look forward to driving my 2002 5MT Forester. Somewhat crude by today's standards, it's practical and enjoyable to drive.

I know they did away with the automatic (replaced by the CVT) on the Impreza by 2014. I also got the Premium version because it at least has the paddle shifters (I found out the base version with CVT doesn't have them). I need to be able to downshift manually when the snow and ice return.

I like the CVT takes a little getting used to the acceleration curve, but good MPG's (any Subie that averages over 30 MPG is good by me). Still like driving the 5 speed manual OBS on days when i don't drive the new one.