Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Not quite Minn. weather and temperatures here in the winter, but still gets quite cold.

Have heard conflicting opinions on this.

Would sure like to get some expert opinions on; as well as from users in cold areas.

How are the heaters in the 2014, and presumably the 2015, in the Outback's ?

Good, barely marginal, or...?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Robert11,

I'm going to go out on a limb here ... you are referring to the seat heaters?

If so, I've owned one OutBack Wagon from each new generation since 1997, and the seat heaters all worked their magic. They have two setttings, High and Low, and toast your tush fairly quickly. I suspect the 2014 and 15 will be just as good.

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Appreciate the info.

Nope, I was referring to the cars'  "Regular Heater".

Have heard that they are very poor, but hard to believe that it is so seeing all the cars

they sell in the cold climates.

How is yours ?

Anything else on them you've heard about ?

Regards,

Bob

Robert11,

The heaters in any Subie OBW I've ever owned would drive you out of the car. We got -8 degrees a couple of times this winter, and my 2012 was toasty after she came up to temperature. Its never been an issue. I do recall my 07 OBW was cold on the passenger side until I discovered that the floor carpeting was folded over the discharge tube to that side, A simple folding of the carpet under the tube fixed that PDQ.

Haven't heard about inadequate heaters in Outbacks, but if you look at subauforester.org and Edmunds.com reviews I saw several posts about the 2014 Forester not having enough heat. I wonder why that happened - my 2002 Forester's heat is great and likely other years as well.

Our MY13 Legacy Ltd. has the latest 2.5 engine, and we've had no problems with the couple of single digit or the low teens mornings we had this winter. When I drive any distance in cold weather, I'll take off my coat and drive in shirt or sweatshirt sleeves with the seat heater on low and the temp set at 69-71˚ for the drivers side and the wife will set the passenger side at 74˚ with the dual controls. I think it's a little better than our MY01 Outback but not by much and maybe because of the ability to customize each side with the dual heat controls.

The only heaters I have heard are weak are the diesels in Europe, which is sort of the norm for some diesels. I have heard a one or two people complaining about the position of the floor heaters upfront, but you can't make everyone happy.