Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heaters in 2014-2015 Outbacks ?

Heaters ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert11

Robert11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Not quite Minn. weather and temperatures here in the winter, but still gets quite cold.

Have heard conflicting opinions on this.

Would sure like to get some expert opinions on; as well as from users in cold areas.

How are the heaters in the 2014, and presumably the 2015, in the Outback's ?

Good, barely marginal, or...?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

#2 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • canada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Robert11,

I'm going to go out on a limb here ... you are referring to the seat heaters?

If so, I've owned one OutBack Wagon from each new generation since 1997, and the seat heaters all worked their magic. They have two setttings, High and Low, and toast your tush fairly quickly. I suspect the 2014 and 15 will be just as good.

#3 Robert11

Robert11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Appreciate the info.

Nope, I was referring to the cars'  "Regular Heater".

Have heard that they are very poor, but hard to believe that it is so seeing all the cars

they sell in the cold climates.

How is yours ?

Anything else on them you've heard about ?

Regards,

Bob

#4 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • canada

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Robert11,

The heaters in any Subie OBW I've ever owned would drive you out of the car. We got -8 degrees a couple of times this winter, and my 2012 was toasty after she came up to temperature. Its never been an issue. I do recall my 07 OBW was cold on the passenger side until I discovered that the floor carpeting was folded over the discharge tube to that side, A simple folding of the carpet under the tube fixed that PDQ.

#5 Stelcom66

Stelcom66

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Vernon CT

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Haven't heard about inadequate heaters in Outbacks, but if you look at subauforester.org and Edmunds.com reviews I saw several posts about the 2014 Forester not having enough heat. I wonder why that happened - my 2002 Forester's heat is great and likely other years as well.

#6 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Our MY13 Legacy Ltd. has the latest 2.5 engine, and we've had no problems with the couple of single digit or the low teens mornings we had this winter. When I drive any distance in cold weather, I'll take off my coat and drive in shirt or sweatshirt sleeves with the seat heater on low and the temp set at 69-71˚ for the drivers side and the wife will set the passenger side at 74˚ with the dual controls. I think it's a little better than our MY01 Outback but not by much and maybe because of the ability to customize each side with the dual heat controls.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,701 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

The only heaters I have heard are weak are the diesels in Europe, which is sort of the norm for some diesels. I have heard a one or two people complaining about the position of the floor heaters upfront, but you can't make everyone happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users