Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej swap power steering

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

What have people done to adapt ea power steering lines to the ej pump. I have the return cut and just have the hose and clamps attached, but what about the high pressure side? Is there a certain flare tool that can make that type of flare for the fitting that goes into the pump?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,010 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

last resort - graft EA rack side lines onto a EJ pump side lines?   cut metal and connect them with hose or weld together?

these help at all:

Cleanest option is to use EJ lines from pump to crossmember, and EA lines from crossmember to the rack.

http://www.ultimates...power-steering/

i used an early legacy PS pump (1990-1994 i believe) with the EA rack and EA hardlines.

http://www.ultimates...ej-conversions/

#3 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

I suppose they could be tight welded together. Not sure. The high pressure side has too much pressure to just use a hose and clamps from what I'm told. I'm not sure how you'd use ej lines from the pump to cross member where they come off the cross member in completely different ways. I did look at that option. And as for ea lines bolting right up, I don't know how. Again, they have completely different bends and routing for that to happen. I tried.

#4 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 977 posts
  • PNW

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

I cut the flexible sections off of EJ pump's lines leaving only the metal sections at the pump. I silver soldered some old brass fittings on to those EJ lines.  Standard EA PS lines bolt right up now. Future repairs will just take stock EA P/S lines from now on. I have several thousand miles on this setup and it works great. I will be happy to snap a quick picture if you keep hounding me about it :) This is on my 1983 GL FT/4WD Wagon with an EJ22 and power steering. All the hard and soft lines after the pump are stock EA. The lines at the cross-member are a little tight but it fits like a glove.

Attached File  EJ22 under front -1.jpg   81.28K   41 downloads Attached File  EJ22 under front -2.jpg   91.06K   42 downloads

You can sort of see some of it in these pics. I'll snap a quick picture of the modified lines up top this weekend if I get time.

Edited by Crazyeights, 18 April 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Grab some EJ lines. 

The connector at the junction down on the crossmember are the same...

Hook up the EJ hardlines to the EA82 lines at tha connector.....takes a little bending and unbolt from the bracket but it works great.

Or even easier just bend the EA82 lines up near the pump and install them into the EJ pump......Done.

I've got XT turbo hardlines bent a bit to fit in my 86 GL w/EJ22

EA81 power steering doesn't have the same connectors so crazyeights suggestion would be good for ea81setup.

Edited by Gloyale, 18 April 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

I'm not sure how you'd use ej lines from the pump to cross member where they come off the cross member in completely different ways. I did look at that option. And as for ea lines bolting right up, I don't know how. Again, they have completely different bends and routing for that to happen. I tried.

You gotta bend the lines a bit.....It's okay  just be gentle....they will bend just don't totally kink them.

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

mine has an xt6 steering rack connected to the ej pump, no mods other than bending the bracket

#8 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Alright, thanks guys. I guess I'll have to look again next time I work on it. It didn't look like swapping the lines would work at all, as that was the original plan. But I'll investigate further.

#9 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Well I was able to use the ej lines. A little twisting and bending and they did go together. Thanks again for the help.

#10 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 741 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Left side is ej right side is ea. I made a sleeve an welded them together. That's the best you can do without spending 200$ for custom set.

https://fbcdn-photos...859111450_n.jpg

This image should work...

#11 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • N. California

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have used a steel compression fitting to splice the high pressure line. I bought it from McMaster-Carr.

#12 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 977 posts
  • PNW

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

These are all great solutions. Thanks for the EA82 <--> EJ22 ideas. I have two of those swaps going right now.

#13 kirzick

kirzick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • olympia washington

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

Can you attach the ea pump to the ej and just use that? My ej's pump is gone.

#14 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Can you attach the ea pump to the ej and just use that? My ej's pump is gone.

Maybe with a bunch of fabrication. But the EA pump won't easily bolt onto the ej motor.

#15 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

Maybe with a bunch of fabrication. But the EA pump won't easily bolt onto the ej motor.

Actually......if you get a PS bracket from a 90-91 Legacy.........the pump Old GL pump will bolt straight into that bracket.  Gotta change the pulleys...but otherwise it does fit..........

It still moves the pump relative to were it would be on an EA.....so youd still have to bend the EA lines some.  

It's really the same as just using EA lines all the way to an EJ pump.......which works too....

100 ways to skin this cat.

#16 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,508 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

No kidding. It looked too different to me, but subarus are legos! I know mine works much nicer with the ej pump than the ea pump!

#17 kirzick

kirzick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • olympia washington

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Cool thanks guys, ill update with my findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users