Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap power steering

bratman18

What have people done to adapt ea power steering lines to the ej pump. I have the return cut and just have the hose and clamps attached, but what about the high pressure side? Is there a certain flare tool that can make that type of flare for the fitting that goes into the pump?

last resort - graft EA rack side lines onto a EJ pump side lines?   cut metal and connect them with hose or weld together?

these help at all:

Cleanest option is to use EJ lines from pump to crossmember, and EA lines from crossmember to the rack.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/101283-ejea-power-steering/

i used an early legacy PS pump (1990-1994 i believe) with the EA rack and EA hardlines.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/48501-for-those-with-ej-conversions/

I suppose they could be tight welded together. Not sure. The high pressure side has too much pressure to just use a hose and clamps from what I'm told. I'm not sure how you'd use ej lines from the pump to cross member where they come off the cross member in completely different ways. I did look at that option. And as for ea lines bolting right up, I don't know how. Again, they have completely different bends and routing for that to happen. I tried.

I cut the flexible sections off of EJ pump's lines leaving only the metal sections at the pump. I silver soldered some old brass fittings on to those EJ lines.  Standard EA PS lines bolt right up now. Future repairs will just take stock EA P/S lines from now on. I have several thousand miles on this setup and it works great. I will be happy to snap a quick picture if you keep hounding me about it :) This is on my 1983 GL FT/4WD Wagon with an EJ22 and power steering. All the hard and soft lines after the pump are stock EA. The lines at the cross-member are a little tight but it fits like a glove.

post-25394-0-95866500-1397826497_thumb.jpg post-25394-0-41500100-1397826506_thumb.jpg

You can sort of see some of it in these pics. I'll snap a quick picture of the modified lines up top this weekend if I get time.

Edited by Crazyeights

Grab some EJ lines. 

The connector at the junction down on the crossmember are the same...

Hook up the EJ hardlines to the EA82 lines at tha connector.....takes a little bending and unbolt from the bracket but it works great.

Or even easier just bend the EA82 lines up near the pump and install them into the EJ pump......Done.

I've got XT turbo hardlines bent a bit to fit in my 86 GL w/EJ22

EA81 power steering doesn't have the same connectors so crazyeights suggestion would be good for ea81setup.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how you'd use ej lines from the pump to cross member where they come off the cross member in completely different ways. I did look at that option. And as for ea lines bolting right up, I don't know how. Again, they have completely different bends and routing for that to happen. I tried.

You gotta bend the lines a bit.....It's okay  just be gentle....they will bend just don't totally kink them.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe with a bunch of fabrication. But the EA pump won't easily bolt onto the ej motor.

Actually......if you get a PS bracket from a 90-91 Legacy.........the pump Old GL pump will bolt straight into that bracket.  Gotta change the pulleys...but otherwise it does fit..........

It still moves the pump relative to were it would be on an EA.....so youd still have to bend the EA lines some.  

It's really the same as just using EA lines all the way to an EJ pump.......which works too....

100 ways to skin this cat.