Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

P0141 code...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I recently got both cat converters replaced and now I'm getting a P0141 code.

It doesn't come on at first...but after I drive it, stop and start it up again then it comes on.

This leads me to believe that it's not a wiring or instrument issue but possibly a lean mixure due to a clogged fuel/air filter...dirty injector ports...ethanol fuel..

Perhaps also different exhaust components may change aspiration characteristics enough (3 of 5 exhaust components are aftermarket).

What do you guys think?

I'm concerned because they may not inspect it with that code there....

--Damien

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,544 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

couldn't that be bad wiring?

I dunno how the heater circuit for the rear sensor is tested.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,489 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Fuel mixture does not affect the heater circuit. It's either wiring or the heater element in the sensor has failed.

#4 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Well I read that that code comes on when it doesn't heat up quickly enough to operating temperature...indicating some sort of malfunction..

There is a heater element builtin the unit itself?  I don't understand....

If that is true why wasn't a code triggered with the old parts in there?  They were leaking all over the place....

Maybe it's also because the computer thinks it's an EJ25 in there....

--D

#5 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

OIC....there's a heating element built right in there.

I guess it would be a wiring issue then but I can other factors cause the ECU to generate that code?

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,544 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

if a car is otherwise running well, it's almost always a good idea to read and record the code(s), then clear them and see which and how quickly code(s) return. I have had a failing battery set a handful of spurious codes. And certainly, there could be a bad ground connection or the sensor itself is bad internally.

#7 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Well I did do that...and changed the battery (the old one was getting a little weak).  Admittedly, the new battery does affect performance.

I'm going to inspect the wiring today if I can...it could be a ground issue as well or maybe the alternator is going.

In any case it doesn't seem to be serious...it still gets normal gas mileage.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,643 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

bad sensor?

if that's for the rear sensor, it can't affect gas mileage.  you can completely remove them and it can't affect gas milegae as it's not even used by the ECU for any fuel or other mapping calculations.  it's simply a dummy light.   somewhere around 2005 or newer that changes slightly and it starts getting integrated into actual ECU algorithms.

#9 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

OIC...they probably just put it in there to sell more O2 sensors to suckers who hate the CEL light... :lol:

Reason why I'm concerned mainly is cuz there are some electrical issues (I think it may be a bad ground somewhere) and I'm trying to pin down what it could be cuz they charge a fortune at the shop to diagnose and my usual mechanic doesn't give a s--- unless it's really broken.

I whipped out my handy multimeter and checked everywhere I could for grounding issues...so far I haven't found anything amiss....I'm guessing it could be the alternator.

The odd thing is that the new battery honestly seemed to boost pickup but worsened the other symptoms it was having.

I guess six of one may cost half dozen of the other...

--Damien

#10 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

reset!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users