Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interior oh sh!t handle (passenger assist handle) removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 upnorthguy

upnorthguy

New User

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

I'm finally getting around to swapping in the sunroof assembly I got at the junkyard a few months ago.  I cannot recall how to undo the plastic cover that is over the ends of the oh sh!t handle (officially, the "assist grip").  There are two varieties.  One is really easy (there are little covers that have a slot that accepts a small screwdriver and you just pop them open to access the screw).  

The other variety is where the handle goes into a cover that must be snapped over the entire end of the handle.  It basically looks very similar to this WRX handle image I found:

http://www.slidegood...rab-handle-1661

When I was taking out the sunroof from the donor car, I remember thinking, "D@mn, those handle covers are tricky, I should remember how to do that later so I don't screw up my car."

Of course, I cannot remember the trick to pop them off.

Any tips?

#2 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 831 posts
  • canada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

upnorthguy,

They just pop off or pry off using a flat bladed screwdriver, and underneath will be a screw or bolt.

It either pops off from the very end, or from the side, or the end where the strap comes out. Even if you break a tab removing it, simply put it back on with some silicone seal. It'll stay put, but still make it possible to remove it at a later date if necessary.

#3 upnorthguy

upnorthguy

New User

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Northern Virginia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

gb- Thanks.  I knew there was a screw underneath...I was just trying to be careful to not break whatever tab(s) were holding those covers in place.

Prying on the outside of the end covers doesn't do it...you need to try on the inside of the covers (just underneath where the strap goes into the cover).  That pops the cap free and then you can slide the cap towards the center of the handle to access the screws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users