Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Question?

Ordered a new clutch kit from Rockauto.  The kit is an Exedy OEM kit with the kit number 15002.  Everything I search says it is for the 1979 EA71, however they disc and pressure plate do not look the same.

The disc number is FJD010U.  I called Exedy and they said they do not make one for the BRAT. They do have one for the 1979 1600. They thought it would not work.  The pressure plate, although it looks different appears to have the same layout and set up.

e4579dda-6d4c-4aae-8e89-5a832c8f58b5.jpg

However the clutch disc is what bothers me.  The disc is the same diameter and everything however the part that slides onto the transmission shaft is not as long.  So, what do you guys think?  Will this work or should I get a clutch from somewhere else.  WHERE CAN I GET A GOOD ONE?

46ae9de2-3d43-4f1e-8f71-881378dc0a83.jpg

113ab580-92ab-4bb5-a59e-142448f5d70c.jpg

HELP!!!  I need to get my son's BRAT back on the road.

Shawn

I wouldn't worry to much about the disk. I'm sure it's all a newer design.

If be concerned if the new disk stuck out further as it might interfere with the pressure plate, but being lower I'd say you where good to go as long as everything else seems legit.

I wouldn't worry to much about the disk. I'm sure it's all a newer design.

If be concerned if the new disk stuck out further as it might interfere with the pressure plate, but being lower I'd say you where good to go as long as everything else seems legit.

Yup, I agree.

Also, my OEM pressure plate looks exactly the same as your new one.

A centering tool would be handy for this job.  I cut the end off an old tranmission to do this but maybe you can borrow one from a friendly mechanic?

Cheers

Dirk